Shall I dryhop with hops that I touched with bare hands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am planning to dry hop with the very same hops that I used as flavour hops.

The issue is that the hops come from a 3-oz vacuum bag that I previously used and have been in the freezer for 3-weeks. I opened the vacuum bag and used my bare hand to break the whole leaf hops. I did this because it was the hot side of the brewing, but now the dryhopping is obviously the cold side of it. Shall I go ahead and use them or will they infect my brew with something harmful?

I've dry hopped a 5% apa with homegrown hops that were picked by hand; laid on cardboard in the floor of my garage and turned every day twice a day for two days; fan blowing over them the whole time; packed into vacuum sealer bags by hand; and smashed down by hand.

IMO, you're gonna be fine :D

Unless your hands are especially dirty I wouldn't worry about it. Your beer is not as delicate as you might imagine now that it has alcohol in it. The alcohol content of your beer will kill, or at least prevent the growth, of most minor bugs.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you were "touching yourself" right before handling the hops. If you were, just don't tell anyone when you serve them the beer.

Hops have an antiseptic quality as well, so you're fine. They were originally used because they help keep the beer from spoiling.

Also - let's not forget that the hops spent several months growing outside in dust, dirt, bugs, bird poop, etc....... it is not like anyone "cleans" them before they package them. Probably get "handled" plenty in the plant that packages them as well.

Latest posts

Back