Where to find 5/8 o-ring and fender washers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I am having the hardest time finding these last parts I need for my first mash tun. I have pretty much given up on the stainless steel. Does anyone know where I might find any of this stuff. I've tried Lowes, Home D and Ace. Thanks for any help you can give.

hells yes. We have one in town and they have everything I need. I really appreciate it EG!

One last thing and this is a dumb question Im sure. The 5/8 refers to the hole size? And what size does the entire washer need to be? I guess any kind of metal will be fine for the washers on the outside of the tun? SS is needed for the inside.

I think I used some rubber grommets that I found at lowes and HD in the fastener section in the specialty washers. I found the 5/8" SS fender washers at a Bolt place here in town. I'm sure you have a place like this in town, pull up the old telephone book.

THe rubber washer is actually like a grommet but heavy duty. Then I fit a SS washer on it, which I was able to find at Lowes , I think it was 3/4". This went on the inside follwed by 5/8" SS washer I found at a bolt place then the Nipple screwed on over the SS washer compressing everything. The outside of the Mash Tun doesnt matter what you use.

RPD-grommet.jpg

Thats actually the exact same thing I got at Lowes last night. Wasnt sure if it would work or not.

THe key is to slip the grommet in a 3/4" (i think) SS washer , which I think they have. Lowes carries SS washers, just not the 5/8". I still use a 5/8" SS washer after this . I only hand tighten and have never had a leak.

I got the o-Rings and Washers at Lowe's. The O-Rings were with the faucets (after I was told by hardware that they did not carry ANY o-rings anymore). They didn't carry 5/8" SS fender washers, but a 1/2" SS washer and a 5/8" drill bit (plus cutting wax) took care of that. I didn't want to pay more, drive further or wait longer for a specialty supplier (e.g. mcmaster carr, fastenal, etc.)

You may run into a situation where Fastenal's physical store doesn't have the fender washer even though the website says they do. I ran into the same thing today. If so, go with a 5/8th SS flat washer instead. The local Fastenal here had a 5/8th non-SS fender washer but it didn't even stock a SS version in that size. I got the flat washer and it worked just fine.

As for the o-ring, I got that at Home Depot. It's around the faucet repair kits. It's not a very hard to find part though, so Fastenal will probably have it.

Check here :)...

Check home-depot for these guys:
Photoon2009-10-04at1444.jpg

They're on the lugs & nuts section, hanging on the wall (it's a product line, so in my store there was a ~2x2ft area on the wall with these orange boxes... just find the 5/8")
The flat washers aren't visible because I used them, but I swear there's 4 of them in there :)

Also, one of the coolers I've got has actually 1/8" thicker walls, but a ~1 inch indentation around the faucet hole. If you've got one of those you'll have to find small outside diameter washers for that (I used metric 16mm ones, but I used the short nipple - they won't go through the smooth part of the nipple)

Back