Anybody brew anything remotely like Old Viscosity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbon111

Reaction score
I'd like to brew something similar to Port Brewing's Old Viscosity and am trying to formulate a recipe - I know its contents are a closely guarded secret but anything to get me in the general neighborhood would help.

I cant really tell if it's a porter, barley wine, brown ale or ???
...I just know it's great! :rockin:

Well you guys are no help... :D

How about some dark strong ale recipes? Time for me to do some digging through the recipe database.

I have a bottle in my fridge waiting for a good day to try it. Until then I can't really be of much help, but suggesting you check out the website which has an ingredient list and some other notes on the beer.

Port Brewing

Thanks for that - I didn't realize they gave away so much on the website.

The hat trick seems to be the blending of 20% bourbon-barrel-aged OV back into the newer-brewed beer.

Maybe I can get one of those little 1gal oak barrels and store some bourbon in there, then store a gallon or so of my clone for some months, then add it back to a new batch.

...or not.

Probably easier just to continue to patronize Port Brewing with my commerce. LOL! :D

I just had some "Older Viscosity" when I was at the cuvee opening at port/lost abbey this last weekend. This stuff is awesome, but not a dark strong, as the older viscosity was WAY thicker than any dark strong by a mile. I'd say base it off of a belgian-y barley wine, but with a bunch more dark roast malts to give it a dark Carmel sweetness

Good ideas!

I have to say, I don't really get a Belgian-yeasty vibe from OV but the barley wine thing is a good start. OV seems to have some porter attributes as well. Some aspects of it remind me of Rogue's Dead Guy ale...

I also have a bottle of this kicking in my fridge. Excited to try it now that I read your comments. Please do post back a recipe if you get one that comes out similar. I think you'd be able to just soak some bourbon in oak and add that to the beer to get the right flavors. I don't think you'd need to age parts of the final blend in different containers being a small scale homebrew.

Just tasted Old Viscosity for the first time tonight at Lost Abbey. Have had the opportunity at port brewing a bunch of times but never did partake of it. Well, that was a mistake. Phenomenal brew. Not quite sure what to make of it in terms of style. I would put it somewhere in the area of a Russian Imperial Stout and a Barleywine. Definitely not belgian yeast. I would suggest some crystal 120, chocolate malt and carafa III and maybe a mix of notty and WLP001. They use magnum, a clean bittering hop. I would guess not more than 40 IBU. Not sure how you get the viscosity, which, of course, is what makes it old viscosity. Maybe a bunch of Carapilis. They say shoot for somewhere around 1.09 OG. A reasonably large dose of dark malts and crystal. The recipe might be a lot like Old Rasputin with less hops but I certainly don't get the mouthfeel of that from my recipe.
If anyone figures it out, I'd love to know.

Back