Beer amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coachrob

Reaction score
Is it ok to cut a recipe in half to make just 24 beers? I want to try a fruit beer, but I don't know if I'd like to make 5 gallons of it.

Yes lots of folks make smaller batches like that.

Another option for a fruit beer is to make a full batch of your base beer and rack half of it over the fruit in the secondary. Bottle or keg the remaining beer as you would normally.

Another option for a fruit beer is to make a full batch of your base beer and rack half of it over the fruit in the secondary. Bottle or keg the remaining beer as you would normally.

+1 to this ^^
A lot of times when I want to experiment with post fermentation adds I will rack off a gallon or two to experiment with. Even if I just want to try different dry hopping or something. Perfect way to test something out while still having some known great brew.

It will take you the same time and effort to brew a half batch so why not just do a full. Kind of fun to turn one batch into two or more different results!

Back