JAOM with EC-1118

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattne421

Reaction score
Hey all i usually just make mead with bread yeast to keep it simple but i got curious a couple months ago and decided to make a standard JOAM but instead i just used EC-1118 yeast. I usually wait until it starts to clear up and then rack it. once it clears up in the secondary ill bottle it up, but this batch just isnt clearing up at all. i racked it to get it off the yeast cake and oranges but its been a while and i havent noticed any change. Is there something i can do to make it clear up at all?

Yeah, there's is a number of clearing agents on the market, which you'll probably find at your local HBS. How long has it been since you pitched, and since it stopped fermenting? It can take months to clear, in my expeiriance.

you pitched and it was done in seven days?

Bread yeast does that. Brewers' yeast does not. EC1118 goes to 18% if you feed it right (and JAOM has lots of tasty yeast-food) which is between twice to three times the tolerance that you'll get from bread yeast. Further, JAOM is designed to let the yeast quit by eating themselves to death, which takes time because the yeast get drunker and slower as they approach their tolerance.

That is to say, I think you need more time :)

Bread yeast does that.

Ummm.... not usually. NOTHING does that besides A: distillers yeast or low ABV yeast, or B: yeast that died someway. well, what I think anyways. (Save for if the vintner that doesn't attempt to activate the bread yeast first. In that sense bread yeast is unreliable. On the other hand, I've gotten crap yeast from reliable sources I think it is fair to say it is most about luck. But I digress.)

Ill admit that by the time i was on to mead i was also on to brewers yeast too :D but i did have a bread yeast cider that quit after four days.

Back