Efficiency problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack04

Reaction score
Yesterday I completed my second all grain batch. My first batch I had 70% efficiency. Following the same procedure I mashed at 155 degrees for 90 min with 1.25 qt/lb grain thickness, mashed out to 168 degrees for 10 minutes, drained the mash tun, batch sparged at 168 degrees with 1/2 sparge volume, drained the mash tun, batch sparged at 168 degrees with 1/2 sparge volume, and drained the mash tun. My pre boil volume was spot on. I took a pre boil gravity and adjusted it for the high temperature. I'm not sure how accurate the reading is at 145 degrees but the adjusted pre boil gravity was 1.049. I boiled for 60 minutes, cooled to 63 degrees and transferred to fermenter. The original gravity in the fermenter was 1.044 with a target of 1.053 which is 58% efficiency! this was my first time mashing at 155 and using rice hulls and flaked oats in the mash. I have no idea if these are the causes but I'm trying to find out why my efficiency was so low. I used the same homebrew store and crushed at the store.

So, your pre-boil was 1.049 and your post-boil was 1.044? That doesn't make sense. Your post-boil should be higher since your volume is lower. I'd bet that one of your volume measurements is off somewhere.

whatsleftofyou said:
So, your pre-boil was 1.049 and your post-boil was 1.044? That doesn't make sense. Your post-boil should be higher since your volume is lower. I'd bet that one of your volume measurements is off somewhere.

I'm as baffled as you. I may take another gravity today to rule out operator error.

Back