Another Rookie Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAKBREW

Reaction score
I plan on bottling my first batch of beer in about 10 days (this will be after three weeks in primary) I'm useing my furnace room for my fermentaion area (temp stays the same there,about 23c) The problem is that it is not a great area to bottle. The rest of the basement area stays about 21c but can drop lower at night. The questions are:

1) Can/should/when should I move my fermenter to the area I want to bottle in?

2) My fermenter is not clear, and there are windows in the area, do I need to cover it from sunlight?

3) How long after I move it should I wait to bottle?

I'm useing a Coopers home brew kit, Austrailian Lager

1) Yes
2) Not as long as it's in the fermenter. You may want to cover the windows if that's the area you're going to be bottling in, because beer can skunk really quickly in direct sunlight.
3) You can do it right away, but in the interest of clear beer I usually try to remember to move my beer at least two hours before bottling. If you're really careful about not sloshing when you move it this is less of a problem

I agree with all of Slowbie's comments.

I typically bring my fermenter into the bottling area before I sanitize my bottles, and I make sure that I don't slosh around. That usually gives it about 30 minutes + to settle down before transferring to the bottling bucket.

if you want the clearest beer possible, don't move your fermenter.
if any sediment is going to get into your beer, it will be from the last bit you are trying to siphon off the top of your yeast
you can just rack it into a priming bucket in your furnace room, then bring that wherever you want to bottle. just make sure you throw a lid on the priming bucket whenever moving it.
and put it somewhere high up, you'll get more pressure on the siphon

Back