Measuring F.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
Maybe a Newbie question but just wondering. I measured my Final Gravity with the final amount of beer from the bottling bucket. This has priming sugar in it. duhhhh.. i do it so i don't waste a single drop of beer.. well i'm sure this is throwing off my #'s... figures. Does anyone else do this? Does anyone have a figure to adjust it.. here's my current example. My IPA weighed in @ 1.012 when i tranfered to secondary. now after bottling my taste was 1.019.. any thoughts.......... ps. this is my ninth batch..

If you don't want to waste a drop, wait till they are carbed and ready to drink. Then pop open a bottle pour and then measure it. Then drink and enjoy.

or just sanitize the hydrometer and plop it in the bottling bucket right before you add the priming sugar. just be careful not to splash or sneeze it in or anything..

How much priming sugar did you use?

If your FG was 1.012 BEFORE adding 5 ounces of priming sugar in 5 gallons, then your FG PLUS the sugar is 1.015.

If your SG is 1.019 AFTER adding 5 ounces of sugar... your FG was 1.016

FG of 1.016
PLUS 5 ounces of priming sugar
EQUALS SG of 1.019

You can easily determine the FG, if you can tell me:

How much priming sugar you used.
What was the SG after you added the sugar?

Thanks for the thoughts guys.... i know what i did wrong... think next time i'm going to be sanitzing my hydro and dunking it in.. or i'll have to sacrifice some beer... chalk it up on the mistake board and move on.. i'll just stick with planning my Tenth batch.

I did the same thing...rushing around for my first time bottling and also measured sg after adding sugar. approx. 2 cups boiling water with 5 oz sugar. I had roughly 4.8 gallons (somehow after ferm it measured 4 imp gallons hence the 4.8 gallons) and measured 1.011.

is the measurement always about .003 less than with sugar? i.e. rule of thumb?

I did the same thing...rushing around for my first time bottling and also measured sg after adding sugar. approx. 2 cups boiling water with 5 oz sugar. I had roughly 4.8 gallons (somehow after ferm it measured 4 imp gallons hence the 4.8 gallons) and measured 1.011.

is the measurement always about .003 less than with sugar? i.e. rule of thumb?

If you have a 5 gallon batch, and use the standard 5oz of priming sugar, yeah, it would be the same from batch to batch.

Back