O.G. taken after yeast pitched...hydrometer reading off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
So, its a late brew night, I checked my gravity as I went through the boil and it was pretty close to my expectations. Then I chilled the wort and forgot to take the O.G. before I pitched my yeast. I just took a reading ( 10 min. after pitching yeast) and it seems to be reading lower (1.062) than my expected OG.of 1.070 The wort is at 68f, so no correction needed...is this right or did I just miss my target?Seems that the yeast couldn't convert enough sugars to alcohol in 10 minutes to pull my gravity down that much.

No, the yeast isn't going to affect the OG at all. What you got is what you got. Did you pitch a large starter into the wort? That can affect the OG readings a little. If it was just a vial or a yeast packet then that's your actual OG.

Thanks EvilTOJ-you confirmed by hunch-missed my mark. I pitched a 1 liter starter. Oh well-I now have to figure out that part. I guess my pre-boil gravity was not accurate. I corrected it from 130 f and that may not give an accurate reading.

My readings are not that reliable at high temps. I took a reading at 122f yesterday 1.030, temp corrected, by the time it had cooled to 70f the reading was 1.036. I always take OG after I pitch - then I monitor progress during primary. It is usually a good indicator of what is going on, but not exactly.

If it makes you feel any better, unless you're hydrometer is calibrated to 70dF, you could add a point:) ... assuming you're hydrometer is calibrated to 60dF.

Back