Perfect Eggs Benedict for Two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's morning...

Are you looking to impress that girl you spent last night with?

Need to apologize to an angry wife?

Hungry?

Search no further...make this:

Perfect Eggs Benedict for Two

You'll need:
4 eggs, cracked (each into a separate dish)
4 slices Canadian bacon
2 English muffins, split
2 egg yolks
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp mustard (preferably the good stuff)
1/2 stick of cold butter (1/4 cup)
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt/pepper to taste
FRESH parsley (skip it if you only have dried)

Also, you need a double boiler. If you don't have one, you can make one by simmering water in a large pot. Put a smaller pot inside it (that's where the good stuff goes).

Ok, here goes - it's hectic, so keep up. Read this once through before doing anything at all.

Put 2-3 inches of water in a large chef's pan or pot, cover, and heat to a boil. Begin heating the double boiler as well (just to a simmer). Heat another frying pan over medium heat.

While waiting for your cookware to heat, prep EVERYTHING, including the serving dishes. Put the lemon juice, egg yolks, and mustard into a bowl. Chop a bit of parsley for garnish. Cut the butter into chunks (about 1/2 Tbsp each, not pictured below). Put the English muffins into the toaster, but don't turn it on yet.

4688-prep.JPG

By now the water should be simmering in the double boiler, gently boiling in the chef's pan, and your frying pan should be nice and hot. If not, wait here until everything is heated up. Take a deep breath...you're going to get busy now.

Turn the toaster on to begin toasting the English muffins.
Toss the Canadian bacon into the frying pan.

Begin poaching the eggs. Gently pour them one at a time into the water, with the edge of the dish touching the water. It'll look a little scary at first - don't worry...keep moving.

4688-poaching.JPG

Start the Hollandaise sauce by pouring the egg yolks, lemon juice, and mustard into the double boiler (have the butter close by). Whisk now, and don't stop whisking. Once the mixture thickens slightly and turns a bit lighter in color, start adding the butter, one chunk at a time. Keep whisking until all the butter is incorporated. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper (if desired), a bit of pepper, and a little salt if you're using unsalted butter. Don't forget about the Canadian bacon - you'll probably need to flip it while whisking (you've got two hands...).

4688-hollandaise.JPG

Remove the Hollandaise sauce from the heat. It should be ok for a few minutes. The English muffins should be done by now - put them on your serving dishes. Top each English muffin with a slice of Canadian bacon. Remove the poached eggs from the water (whites should be firm, yolks slightly runny) one at a time with a slotted spoon, allowing them to drain briefly before placing them on top of the Canadian bacon. Top with Hollandaise sauce and garnish with chopped parsley.

Take another deep breath.

Don't forget to turn the burners off.

Reap the rewards of your hard work.

Best served with a Mimosa or Bloody Mary.

4688-voila.JPG

A final warning: If you make this correctly, you'll be asked to make it again...and again...and again...

I love those...but I have probably made over 1000 in my life

nice write up BTW!

ahh thank you! i love some eggs benedict!
i need to email this to HWO (He who obeys), and i am adding a vase with a rose too! Thanks, i will keep this recipes and try it out!

Way to add a little class to the forum. Great explination. I would have to add one tip when poaching the eggs, try swirling the water, it should help to form them a little more. I am sure that you could work up a heated stir plate for that purpose or somethhing similar:)

Cheers,

And may i sugest a mango mimosa with that!

YUM!!!

An easier way to make the hollindase (sp?) is to blend the eggs in the blender, then drizzel the hot butter in. The heat cooks the eggs perfect every time and it greatly reduces the chances you'll scramble them. Sorry, no cool pics, though.

Focus

Back