24hr starter - Too soon to cool & decant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
So I made a big starter (actually 2 starters for 2 batches), like almost 3 liters each. I pitched the yeast this morning, and I plan on brewing tomorrow afternoon.

Both starters a doing well, lots of activity and foam. I would like to add as little of this starter "beer" to my batches as possible.

My questions are, can I throw the starters in the fridge tomorrow right before I start brewing to make it easier to decant? Is this necessary? If the starter still seems to be active, will decanting about half the liquid with out chilling actually be tossing some of the yeast that I'm working so hard to create?

Help me HBT community, you're my only hope!! :cross:

Oh, and I forgot to add that these are both Lager yeasts, so maybe throwing them in the fridge won't really do anything anyhow?

You can certainly pitch at 24 hours, I doubt being in the fridge for just a couple hours will settle much out, but it will get the temp down to lager pitch temps for you.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

Thanks for the reply Kaz. yeah I'm sure it's ready to pitch.

I'm just looking to decant some of this, and wondering how much of the yeast will be floating around.

This may sound like a stupid question but, since lagers are bottom-fermenting yeasts, does that mean that most of the yeast will be on the bottom?

Latest posts

Back