Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to attempt to make a 10 gal batch tonight. I've never made anything this lite. wish me luck!

If you have iodine, do a starch conversion test. If you don't buy some at the pharmacy. Put a few drops of mash liquor in a saucer then add a drop of iodine. It should stay redish-brown. If its black-blue, keep mashing.

Also, if you are doing hop substitutions, be sure to calculate the addition to hit 18 IBUs.

couldn't stand it ( the waiting, I mean ) - just left LHBS with the goods - Gonna have a weeknight brew session tonight! :)

Made a batch this weekend and its currently bubbling away. One question, when to dry hop? Since the AE kicks off a secondary ferment should I wait until that subsides and then add?

Also, I'm using cascade pellets, should I adjust down the amount to use since they are pellets?

Made a batch this weekend and its currently bubbling away. One question, when to dry hop? Since the AE kicks off a secondary ferment should I wait until that subsides and then add?

Also, I'm using cascade pellets, should I adjust down the amount to use since they are pellets?

Add the AE and hops at the same time. The amount of pellet vs whole hops has little impact on dry hopping. That said, whole hops are usually preferred.

So I bottled this today. My fg would get no lower than 1.006, but that gave me an abv of 3.1 - and in the racking cane it looked like spring water.

grabbed a 4 oz sample - I can dig it. Can see this as a fun little lawnmower beer. I may play with the grain bill just a smidge, for goofy fun.

This is on my list to do next, however I'll be at the top of the scale for a light Lager and perhaps a little heavy on flavour with Hallertau but keeping the IBU's to around 18.
Yum, I can taste it now.

So I bottled this today. My fg would get no lower than 1.006, but that gave me an abv of 3.1 - and in the racking cane it looked like spring water.

grabbed a 4 oz sample - I can dig it. Can see this as a fun little lawnmower beer. I may play with the grain bill just a smidge, for goofy fun.

Hey - Have you started drinking this? If so, I'm guessing it didn't last long.

I have - and it is good stuff. I have given away half the bottles and folks love it!

Gonna brew again this weekend as a matter of fact, using Mt. Hood hops.

This inspired me to make a similar beer, but using all malt extract, no corn or rice. I didn't properly calculate evaporation for boiling and ended up with less water than planned, so my OG ended up at 1.045. I'm a little afraid of using the enzyme at this point. If it drops all the way down to 1.000, that would give me an ABV of nearly 6%. Should I skip the enzyme this time and just leave it as a blonde ale?

This inspired me to make a similar beer, but using all malt extract, no corn or rice. I didn't properly calculate evaporation for boiling and ended up with less water than planned, so my OG ended up at 1.045. I'm a little afraid of using the enzyme at this point. If it drops all the way down to 1.000, that would give me an ABV of nearly 6%. Should I skip the enzyme this time and just leave it as a blonde ale?

Add the enzyme. It will dry it out and make very crisp. Which is good, thats what you want in this style of beer. It will be as if it was lagered, but without the time and effort. The high abv is no problem. So you will have something that is closer to miller high life or MGD.

Try using a smaller mash tun, like a 5 gallon thermos style cooler or do a double batch. If you do the double, at least you won't have to worry about running out quickly. This usually goes fast.

I want to brew this, but not sure my mashtun will work with such low amounts of grain! Might need to rig something up.

A 5 gallon batch in a 15.5 Gal Keggle, is really pushing the lower end of the mash tun. I had to mash in very thin in order to get a drain. Double or as the poster above suggests a 5 Gal cooler mash tun.

I use the yeast cake from this for barley wine or strong ales.

Anyone have a partial mash version of this? I'm new to brewing and I'd like to make 5gal's for my wife's grad school party but dont have enough equipment to do the full grain version. If not I guess I'll give the extract version a try. Also how would this taste if I used Safale-04 I have some in the freezer id like to use up.
Thanks,
Terry

I wanted to use up my extra ingrediants from my last batch so I fiddled around with the numbers in PROmash and this is what I've got.
1lb Pale malt 2-row
.5lb Pale malt 6-row
.5lb Flaked corn
1lb Muntons Light DME
This still got me around 1.030 OG
Hops
.2oz Hallertau 3.9% @60 mins
.5oz Vanguard 4.4%@60 mins
.2oz Challenger 7% @10 mins
1oz Cascade (Dry hop secondary)
Total IBU 17
Yeast S-04

Like I said I'm new to this so would this taste like crap?

I wanted to use up my extra ingrediants from my last batch so I fiddled around with the numbers in PROmash and this is what I've got.
1lb Pale malt 2-row
.5lb Pale malt 6-row
.5lb Flaked corn
1lb Muntons Light DME
This still got me around 1.030 OG
Hops
.2oz Hallertau 3.9% @60 mins
.5oz Vanguard 4.4%@60 mins
.2oz Challenger 7% @10 mins
1oz Cascade (Dry hop secondary)
Total IBU 17
Yeast S-04

Like I said I'm new to this so would this taste like crap?

No, it will be a light beer. More taste than miller light. Think of it as a very light american ale. Bmc drinkers will like it as well as a home brewer who understand the difficulty of making a light beer with no flaws. Its good, some people will dislike meerly on the fact that it light and resembles that of big macro brewery beer.

No, it will be a light beer. More taste than miller light. Think of it as a very light american ale. Bmc drinkers will like it as well as a home brewer who understand the difficulty of making a light beer with no flaws. Its good, some people will dislike meerly on the fact that it light and resembles that of big macro brewery beer.

Cool, I'll be making this sunday, it will also be my first kegged beer as I just got my first corny!
Thanks again,
Terry

Gonna make this brew this weekend...can't wait. Got the enzyme, and going to follow recipe to a T doing BIAB. I made Cream of 3 Crops and it was way too corn-y, so hopefully this is the answer for me in terms of a true light tasting beer.

I'm gonna use Sorachi ace for bittering, aroma and dry hopping. Schlenkerla, when you used Sorachi did you use it for all three hop additions as well?

Anyways can't wait...thanks for sharing the recipe!

Gonna make this brew this weekend...can't wait. Got the enzyme, and going to follow recipe to a T doing BIAB. I made Cream of 3 Crops and it was way too corn-y, so hopefully this is the answer for me in terms of a true light tasting beer.

I'm gonna use Sorachi ace for bittering, aroma and dry hopping. Schlenkerla, when you used Sorachi did you use it for all three hop additions as well?

Anyways can't wait...thanks for sharing the recipe!

Yes, I have used sorachi in early and late additions. As for the first addition, make sure to target 16-18 IBUs.

I was at NB yesterday but they didn't have any AE! I will probably have to order that online. Curses...

Awesome. Will definitely target 18 IBU. Here's my recipe:
http://hopville.com/recipe/588678/cream-ale-recipes/rat-city-miller-lite-clone

Disregard the "cream ale" classification...couldn't decide what it would technically be (characteristics of a light lager but not a light lager, etc.) I'm going to try the dry hop with cascade. Also had to trick the projected attenuation in Beer Calc to account for the amylase dropping the FG more.

I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks again for the recipe.

I decided to make a 15 gallon batch and get the AE on the internet. I used the following recipe, I don't have any 6 row here.
5lb 2-row
6lb Pilsner
4lb Field Corn, cereal mashed.
Mash at 145 for 60
Mash at 156 for 30

75g Hallertauer 3.5% 80 minutes
75 g Hallertauer O min 15 minute whirlpool
Through the chiller and pitch 2042

Q
Awesome. Will definitely target 18 IBU. Here's my recipe:
http://hopville.com/recipe/588678/cream-ale-recipes/rat-city-miller-lite-clone

Disregard the "cream ale" classification...couldn't decide what it would technically be (characteristics of a light lager but not a light lager, etc.) I'm going to try the dry hop with cascade. Also had to trick the projected attenuation in Beer Calc to account for the amylase dropping the FG more.

I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks again for the recipe.

I think your boil should be 90 minutes. The reason is to get rid of all traces of DMS.

I continue to brew this every so often. Makes a GOOD cheap brew. I dont worry about hops too much, just IBU's.

SInce my LHBS has these ingredients in 1lb bags, I have changed the recipe to all 2lb amounts.

2 lbs 2 row
2 lbs 6 row
2 lbs flaked maze

I have also tossed in a bit of crystal 10L or 20 L with good results. Dont need much, 1/3 lb will do it. (less if its the 20L) Usually a left over from a different brew. This will toss the color out of range a bit. Still make a great beer. I learned alot about brewing make this beer - 6 times I made this with subtle changes in grains,hops and yeast.

Here is a pic of this brew with 1/2 lb of 20L added.

beer.jpg

Liquid gold, Lagered. That one was awesome.

I agree with your first statement thats why I like it alot. This also makes for very clear beer. As good if not better than lagering. This assumes you use a good attenuating yeast like s-05.

Your carboy there is very clear, so individual beers will be pristine.

For those who have yet to make this.....This beer has a very parched dryness when its less then two-three weeks old. Letting it sit carbed chilled for a few weeks its a good idea.

Q

I think your boil should be 90 minutes. The reason is to get rid of all traces of DMS.

Good call - I was planning on that, but forgot to make the edit on the beer calculus.

Brewed it up yesterday, one of the easiest brew days I've had in a while. Hit everything right on target - higher efficiency than I thought, came in at 1.030 using the BIAB method. Planning on 7-10 days fermenting, 14 days secondary w/amylase and then at least 2 weeks cold carbing in kegerator before I tap. Should be ready right around memorial day :-D.

OK, I made this a little while ago and while my friends love it, I feel it ( the recipe ) has stripped any sembelence of flavour from it. So I brewed it again, this time really making it tripple hopped. Flavour wise for sure.
But I have to say it did turn out much like the Miller we get here.

I kegged my rendition up this morning. I did a 15 gallon batch and dry hopped with 2oz Cascade in the conical. It sure tastes light! I am sure the BMC friends of mine will be slurping this up. This is the first time I used AE on anything and there is no mouth feel there at all!

I kegged my rendition up this morning. I did a 15 gallon batch and dry hopped with 2oz Cascade in the conical. It sure tastes light! I am sure the BMC friends of mine will be slurping this up. This is the first time I used AE on anything and there is no mouth feel there at all!

My home brew buddies said about same, BMC drinkers will like it since its what they are used to, but home brewers will appreciate a light beer with hop aroma and taste even though no bitterness is there.

After the first batch, I added .25lb of Crystal 10L to mine as the color was very light. It looks perfect now. Just made my 4th batch last Friday. Will add AE this Friday and keg in a couple of weeks. Just in time for Memorial Day. Even better at week 5.

I continue to brew this every so often. Makes a GOOD cheap brew. I dont worry about hops too much, just IBU's.

SInce my LHBS has these ingredients in 1lb bags, I have changed the recipe to all 2lb amounts.

2 lbs 2 row
2 lbs 6 row
2 lbs flaked maze

I have also tossed in a bit of crystal 10L or 20 L with good results. Dont need much, 1/3 lb will do it. (less if its the 20L) Usually a left over from a different brew. This will toss the color out of range a bit. Still make a great beer. I learned alot about brewing make this beer - 6 times I made this with subtle changes in grains,hops and yeast.

Here is a pic of this brew with 1/2 lb of 20L added.

beer.jpg

Liquid gold, Lagered. That one was awesome.

How would columbus 15% work with this, keeping the IBUs at 15-17? I have a bunch of columbus whole hops.

How would columbus 15% work with this, keeping the IBUs at 15-17? I have a bunch of columbus whole hops.

Its good for the bittering. Its a high AAU hop. I used sorachi ace for all three additions and it was good.

I'd try it, its a cheap and easy recipe. Not much hops needed to hit the IBU target. If you have partial packages of other hops try them for the late additions, if nothing else use Columbus and call it 1492, 3 Ships, Columbus' Voyage Ale/Lager

1. Columbus - 60 min (Ninta Addition)
  2. Columbus - 0 Min (Pinta Addition)
  3. Columbus - Dry (Santa Maria Addition)

I dont normally hurry my brews along but I have a gathering I would like to serve this at in 8 days. Currently (5/13) it has been in primary for nine days (since 5/4). I dry hopped in primary.

Alternate idea - What if I rack to keg and then add the Amylase? Force carbonate in 2-3 days after adding AE?? Your thoughts are appreciated thumbs up!!

Personally, I don't like rushing any beer. The exception to me would be hefe's. I believe the AE needs about two weeks to do its job. If you do what you propose, it will have some off tastes in the keg as the yeast eats up what gets converted by the enzyme. Not to mention this beer has an acrid dryness when its really young. A little aging an that goes away. This beer is dry clean and crisp when its ready to drink.

Back