Mosaic Hops IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon and am going to use Mosaic hops for the first time. It will be an American IPA and I'm going to pair the Mosaics with Amarillo and Citra. The Beersmith brewsheet is below, any thoughts or suggestions? Also, any local folks who want to stop by are welcome, I'm in a near southwest side suburb, Oak Lawn, send me a pm for directions.

Mosaic IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/20/2013
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer: Jim
Boil Size: 7.14 gal Asst Brewer: Whoever Shows Up
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 14.81 %
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 59.26 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 14.81 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 25.6 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
0.50 oz Mosaic [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [14.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
0.50 oz Mosaic [11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] (5 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.50 %] (5 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Edinburgh Ale (White Labs #WLP028) Yeast-Ale

1.00 oz Mosaic [11.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.5 %
Bitterness: 70 IBU Calories: 306 cal/pint
Est Color: 8.4 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.50 lb
Sparge Water: 5.18 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

75 min Mash In Add 14.38 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Ha I thought your Lakefront New Grist thread was bad :D

It sounds delicious. I haven't tried those hops but I want to be sub'ed for when it's done :mug:

Looking forward to this...I have no suggestions as to being a new brewer, but I have a half pound of these and want to use them in my next brew...please keep me posted! "If" I had to critique you're recipe i would use a higher alpha acid for the 60 min if you want a bit more bittering. But as I said im only on my 4th batch :hs:

I don't have any Mosaic, but do have some Nelson, wonder what that would be like? and Belma?

I see in the recipe he has a 5gal cooler for an MT. At 11.5lbs of grain, the cooler is about maxed out at 1.25qt/lb of water. He won't be able to add the 3+ lbs of grain to bring his OG up to what he wants, so he is adding DME to add gravity points. I do this with my big beers, and I call it a "mostly mash."

I see in the recipe he has a 5gal cooler for an MT. At 11.5lbs of grain, the cooler is about maxed out at 1.25qt/lb of water. He won't be able to add the 3+ lbs of grain to bring his OG up to what he wants, so he is adding DME to add gravity points. I do this with my big beers, and I call it a

My guess was to raise gravity as well. Or just something to snort while he waits for the boil to start... ;)

thaworm69 said:
My guess was to raise gravity as well. Or just something to snort while he waits for the boil to start... ;)

That's it! Pappers does rails of DME.

image-1889926388.jpg

I see in the recipe he has a 5gal cooler for an MT. At 11.5lbs of grain, the cooler is about maxed out at 1.25qt/lb of water. He won't be able to add the 3+ lbs of grain to bring his OG up to what he wants, so he is adding DME to add gravity points. I do this with my big beers, and I call it a "mostly mash."

Yes this is it. I can do up to around 1.068 but if I'm much above 1.060 I usually add extract.

Looking forward to this...I have no suggestions as to being a new brewer, but I have a half pound of these and want to use them in my next brew...please keep me posted! "If" I had to critique you're recipe i would use a higher alpha acid for the 60 min if you want a bit more bittering. But as I said im only on my 4th batch :hs:

I'm emphasizing the late hop additions, sometimes called hop bursting, and getting some IBUs that way. I'm at 70 IBUs which is the upper limit for the style. I'll keep you posted.

A friend did a Mosaic IPA after hearing about them at the AHA Conference last summer and he liked them a lot.

Yes this is it. I can do up to around 1.068 but if I'm much above 1.060 I usually add extract.

All joking aside i would really like to hear how this turns out Pappers! Please update. I was leaning towards a similar hop bill. I have an ounce of FF i need to use.. was thinking a bittering addition to just use it up and use the mosaic/amarillo/citra combo as well. Cheers!

9 hours and 1 view? Maybe I need to start using more exciting titles . . . .

Suggestion: "FREE Mosaic Hops IPA"

Problem solved. 100 views in a minute guaranteed. Maybe not comprehended but viewed.

In all seriousness what's the story with this Mosaic Hop? I heard it smells like the arsehole of a grapefruit.

Pappers_ said:
Yeah I may be in the running for "Most Boring Threads Award" ;)

No, not quite. You should check out my thread about Sorachi Ace hops and Trappist Ale yeast. 5 views in 10 hrs. And 3 of the 4 posts are mine.
Can anyone say winner? :)

WesleyS said:
No, not quite. You should check out my thread about Sorachi Ace hops and Trappist Ale yeast. 5 views in 10 hrs. And 3 of the 4 posts are mine.
Can anyone say winner? :)

I don't even start threads anymore. The rejection is more than I can handle.

Pappers_ said:
I tryed my first bottle of this yesterday, its got a really nice aroma, citrus and pineapple hops. The bitterness is appropriately bracing and the beer turned out pretty dry, at 1.010. I'm enjoying it.

Here's the recipe I ended up using http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/CAMS-4-Hop-IPA.html

Wow 10oz of hops! That must be one heck of a beer. The labels look great too.

Back