I figured out why Cider isn't mainstream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Have you tried a storebought cider lately? Had a woodchuck and bleh, tried a hornsby draft cider and felt like I ate a bag of gummy bears. This **** is gross no wonder cider isn't more popular.

Every homebrew batch of cider I have had, failure or success in my book, tastes 10x better than anything I have ever tasted off the shelf.

No wonder people aren't more interested in cider, I wouldn't be either if I were paying $8 for 6 bottles of liquid apple jolly ranchers.:mad:

Had the same thing here in the Netherlands. I took a bottle of commercial French cider home with me from work. It tastes waaaaay to appely! It's like you take a bite of applesauce made from over ripe apples or something. Every time I make my own cider (or Apfelwein, which is basically cider) it tastes nice and dry. After a few months of ageing it tastes a little more like apples but still dry enough to drink chilled from a beerglass in the middle of summer!

There are rumours that Heineken co. is going to be releasing a commercial cider to the market soon. And although I don't like their pils I do admit that if it's one thing they do well it't that they know how to be commercial. So maybe, just maybe their cider won't taste like ****...

That Woodchuck crap tastes like a wood chuck pissed in a bottle... Then again, I'm not a fan of cider. I don't even like apples but I would try a home brewed cider I suppose.

the only woodchuck that's worth anything is the "dark and dry" 808 one, which isn't too common, hornsby's sucks, although A Blackthorne or Mangers are both quite dry and tasty actually.

That Woodchuck crap tastes like a wood chuck pissed in a bottle
Any time I see someone suggest a drink tastes like horse/cow/wood chuck/whatever piss, I have to wonder . . . how do they know? What possessed them to try the horse/cow/wood chuck/whatever piss in the first place? Just to have the perspective to make the comparison?

:)

Sorry. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread posts.

Rick

I wonder why they just cant make a good one? maybe when you upscale batches it gets alot harder to make.

I shall take on this task, and become the largest commercial producer of great cider in the world.
yea right, I think thats up to Ed.

This also explains why people tend to have such a reaction to apfelwein (love it or hate it); it's entirely different from the ciders that they have had. Virtually everyone that I've given it to loves it, but you've got to prepare them for it, let them know it's not sweet at all.

Any time I see someone suggest a drink tastes like horse/cow/wood chuck/whatever piss, I have to wonder . . . how do they know? What possessed them to try the horse/cow/wood chuck/whatever piss in the first place? Just to have the perspective to make the comparison?

:)

Sorry. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread posts.

Rick
Dude!
Ever seen Jackass2? It's amazing the stupid $hit people do!

I have a lot of sick friends, I don't want to know everything they have tried.

I agree of the woodchuck views, the dark and dry is the only tolerable one. However has anyone else tried the K cider or Original Sin, also Hardcore was ok but not great.

I agree of the woodchuck views, the dark and dry is the only tolerable one. However has anyone else tried the K cider or Original Sin, also Hardcore was ok but not great.

K is pretty good, although more of a french style, which tends to be much more apply and less dry, I personally love cider dry. there really are plenty of good ciders out there, just not so many out here in the states, plenty in the UK though.

Have you tried a storebought cider lately? Had a woodchuck and bleh, tried a hornsby draft cider and felt like I ate a bag of gummy bears. This **** is gross no wonder cider isn't more popular.

Every homebrew batch of cider I have had, failure or success in my book, tastes 10x better than anything I have ever tasted off the shelf.

No wonder people aren

Completely agreed.

I am very happy with my first batch of EdWorts; nice and dry. I started another with weizen yeast but it's still slowly chugging after 10 weeks. Lord.

Just started another 5gal of TreeTop with Montrachet (no added sugar) because I don't necessarily need the added ethanol.

Had the same thing here in the Netherlands. I took a bottle of commercial French cider home with me from work. It tastes waaaaay to appely! It's like you take a bite of applesauce made from over ripe apples or something. Every time I make my own cider (or Apfelwein, which is basically cider) it tastes nice and dry. After a few months of ageing it tastes a little more like apples but still dry enough to drink chilled from a beerglass in the middle of summer!

that was commercial cider from Normandy I assume, I agree it's disgusting

You should try to get Basque cider ( or Asturian ), it's a spontaneous fermentation cider, it's aged in wooden barrels and sold in bottles, it's nice and dry and has no residual sweetness ( exactly like a Lambic/Gueuze beer )

In Spain "sidra natural"/sagardo means it's a spontaneous fermentation cider, in France it cannot legally be called "cidre" so it's called sagarno which means cider in Basque, those are the three keywords you should be looking for

And yes, cider is ( almost ) mainstream around here ( Basque Country )

This also explains why people tend to have such a reaction to apfelwein (love it or hate it); it's entirely different from the ciders that they have had. Virtually everyone that I've given it to loves it, but you've got to prepare them for it, let them know it's not sweet at all.

I'm not sure what apfelwine is, but that pretty much describes the cider that we produce around here.

Seriously. I hate that crap too. I just started a new 5 gallon cider batch last night. Home brewed cider is much richer and more complex than that shelf junk.

There are rumours that Heineken co. is going to be releasing a commercial cider to the market soon.

Sort of. I read on Wikipedia earlier that Hieneken bought out the company that produces Strongbow Cider...which is good! I just hope they keep it dry and dont change it...aaand maybe import the full stregnth versions to america, that would be awesome :)

Back