Noob - Help With Grain Selection Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteEagle1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I've done my first 3 batches since the first of the month. Have one in primary, one in secondary and one bottle conditioning. I am ready to brew AG. I have read John Palmer's book once...keep paging back for pointers. I plan on using one of his recipes in the book to start, Victory and Chaos IPA. My question is that I have my Northern Brewer catalog out ready to order the ingredients online, but they don't carry the exact grains he has in his recipe. Here is what the recipe calls for and what I'm guessing is equlivlant from Northern Brewer.....just confused on what to get?

10lbs British Pale Ale Malt - Rahr Pale Ale or Belgian Pale Ale???
0.5lbs Crystal 20L - Any Crystal Malt that says "20L"???
0.5lbs Munich Malt - German Munich Malt 8.3L???
Nugget & EK Goldings - They carry these hops
White Labs P013 London Ale - They carry this as well

Thanks in advance!

for British use maris otter. for munich buy what they list as munich not the dark munich any crystal 20 is fine

For the british he probably used marris otter but the rahr will work too. Any crlstal 20L will work. The munich can be either the german or the 10L one.

Back