Beer has been bubbling for 10 days now is that normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luigi13191

Reaction score
So i have a Nut brown Ale that is my first home brew. It is an extract kit from northern brewer with an OG of 1044. It has been bubbling for ten days now and the krausen still wont hasnt fallen. The first two days it was bubblinglike every 2 seconds but now on the 10th day its down to every 4 minutes. My first question is should i take a gravity reading with my hydrometer now or should i just wait the full two weeks like specified in the kit and then take the reading. Also what about the krausen. shouldnt it have fallen by now. It hasnt shown any signs of going down although it hasnt gotten bigger either since it peeked like on the fourth day of fermentation.

At what temperature is it fermenting? It's just doing it's thing, dont worry... I'd leave the lid on for at least another week or two...

First things first. Throw your directions away. Second, leave it be for at least 3 weeks, I go 4. Third don't worry about the krausen unless it's still there at the end of 3 weeks. If that is the case, take 2 gravity readings 3 days apart and see if they are the same. If not then it's still fermenting. By the way I'm on day 13 with an American Brown Ale, it's bigger than yours but not huge, and it still has krausen on it as well. It's sitting at 64F right now and I'm not worried in the slightest. What yeast are you using?

Funny thing is that if my beer was only bubbling once every four minutes I don't think I would even know it was still bubbling. I'm not sure I've ever watched the airlock for 4 minutes straight.

But I agree with everyone. Let it sit for 3 weeks in the bucket.

But if you want to check the gravity... check it.

As long as you use sterile technique, you will do no harm.

And that way you can taste it too.

The first two or so days it was fermenting at about 70F but the rest of the days it was at about 62F. and yeah i havnt opened the carboy up its glass so i havnt had too

62 looks like it is below optimal fermentation temps. According to the northerbrewer site, the optimal temps are 66-74 for that yeast. Are you saying 62 ambient or on/in the carboy?

But if its bubbling, its fermenting so it will probably just take a little longer than usual.

Back