Brewed CA Common Beer Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note - I'll be racking this to secondary tomorrow night. I would have done it this weekend, but my 30 year high school reunion got in the way!

LouisianaVince said:
I brewed my AHS California Common Beer today. Just making a note of it. The wort tasted good!

You are in for a treat then! Enjoy and let us know how it turns out. :mug:

This style is a source of amusement, because having trademarked "Steam beer" almost a hundred years after it was in common usage, Anchor went from being the company that revived the style to a category of one. As in, what's Anchor Steam? It's their version of a California Common.

david_42 said:
This style is a source of amusement, because having trademarked "Steam beer" almost a hundred years after it was in common usage, Anchor went from being the company that revived the style to a category of one. As in, what's Anchor Steam? It's their version of a California Common.

Yep. It's funny how that happened. But regardless of name, I like it! Since I'm in Louisiana, maybe I should make up my own category...Humidity Brewed Beer.

Just a note. All kinds of life-interruptions happened, and I didn't get to rack to secondary until last night. So, this stayed in primary for 2 weeks and 5 days.

holidayinflorida said:
I do enjoy Anchor Steam, would you share the recipe?
Here you go...

1/2 lb. Crystal 60L
1/2 lb. Carapils
7 lbs. Pale Extract LME
2 oz. Northern Brewer German Hops (Pellets)
White Labs San Francisco Lager Liquid Yeast #00023
Target OG 1.050
Target FG 1.012

You do the typical 15 minutes of steeping the grains at 155 degrees then remove from heat and add the LME. Once dissolved, you add 1 oz. of bittering hops and start your 60 min. boil.
Add 1/2 oz. of flavor hops at 45 min.
Add 1/2 oz. of aroma hops at 55 min.

I also used AHS's 1 % alcohol boost when I added the LME, Whirlfloc and yeast fuel at the proper times.

Since mine stayed in primary for 2 weeks and 5 days, I'm probably only going to leave it in secondary for 7 days before bottling.

Note: I live in Louisiana and do not have refrigeration equipment for cooling my primary. Even using the Lager yeast, it fermented just fine at 74 degrees.

Just another update. It stayed in secondary 3 weeks (I was busy) and I bottled on Aug. 31. Next weekend, I'll give it a taste. The Kolsch I brewed before this is delicious!

How'd this one come out?
A couple questions about your recipe -- full 5 gallon boil, or just 2.5 gallons and then top up to 5?
Target IBU?

LouisianaVince said:
Here you go...

1/2 lb. Crystal 60L
1/2 lb. Carapils
7 lbs. Pale Extract LME
2 oz. Northern Brewer German Hops (Pellets)
White Labs San Francisco Lager Liquid Yeast #00023
Target OG 1.050
Target FG 1.012

You do the typical 15 minutes of steeping the grains at 155 degrees then remove from heat and add the LME. Once dissolved, you add 1 oz. of bittering hops and start your 60 min. boil.
Add 1/2 oz. of flavor hops at 45 min.
Add 1/2 oz. of aroma hops at 55 min.

I also used AHS's 1 % alcohol boost when I added the LME, Whirlfloc and yeast fuel at the proper times.

Since mine stayed in primary for 2 weeks and 5 days, I'm probably only going to leave it in secondary for 7 days before bottling.

Note: I live in Louisiana and do not have refrigeration equipment for cooling my primary. Even using the Lager yeast, it fermented just fine at 74 degrees.

I just brewed a CA common last Sunday as well. Didn't use the 1% boost and I racked it on top of a yeast cake. I live next door (in Mississippi). Recipe is almost exact but i used all my aroma hops at end of boil and tried using some finings. I will probably transfer it to secondary tomorrow
Oh I did a 3 gallon boil and I believe my SG was 1.046

Let me know how that did at mid 70's fermentation. Hangover beer, fusels, nice, etc?

To answer a couple of questions above:
I did a 3 gal. brew and topped to 5.
The 70 degree fermentation didn't seem to adversely affect the brew at all. The fermentation went smoothly, and the final product is excellent! It doesn't quite taste like Anchor Steam, but it's similar.

LV

One more question if you don't mind, was this the AHS recipe or the AHS Gold Seal recipe

Thank you
J

Back