chilled to long

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

city

Reaction score
OK so here's how it went. I broke 2 bones in my right hand 5 days ago. I did a brew late last night under the haze of home brew and a flexerall. Not a good chose. But any ways. I fell asleep when it was chilling. So 4 hours later I wake up and just finished it as norm. ... so did I mess it up. And I the way I chilled it was with ice in the kitchen sink. It looked a bit different but just top it off and pitched the yeast as norm. I'm really hoping its still good. And BTW its bubbling already

If you didn't pitch your yeast into frozen wort it will ferment when it reaches temperatures that the yeast like. They might have gotten a shock if the temperature differences were far off and may get some off flavors but from what I have read it is worse to pitch into hot than cold wort.

If you have activity already you are probably in good shape.

The only thing you did was give any bacteria a couple hours to grow. If you have good sanitation habits, no problem.

If you pitched plenty of yeast they should overpower whatever fell in there during those 4 hours.

"If you pitched plenty of yeast they should overpower whatever fell in there during those 4 hours."

If that was true, there wouldn't be such a thing as infected beer.

Back