Damn Bubblegum Flavors. Hmph.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinh85

Reaction score
So I have 6 batches under my belt now. All PM. My 4th, I recently bottled and had a sample of 4 days into bottle conditioning.

Well, to my suprise, I tasted alcoholic bubblegum. Yup, it was nasty. Now I have read plenty of posts here about that off flavor, and I have already identified the culprit as high fermentation temps.

Thus my newly built fermentation chamber for batches 5 and 6, which smell/taste much better.

I have also read that those who have the off flavors that I have described, cellar that beer for 6 months and it turns out great. I will most certainly do this, as I will never ever dump a batch.

I am just mainly looking for reassurance, and support. I don't want to lose a batch to some novice mistake :(

Yes it's from high temps. I've done it my self, so have others on this forum. Revvy has a great post about his experience. It's does go away.

The two ways of preventing this are:
1) control your fermentation temps.
2) use a forgiving yeast.

I've had good luck with Cooper's ale yeast for high temps. The instructions say to pitch between 70-80F, but they say to go ahead and pitch if you can get your wort under 90F. I've fermented in this range with this yeast without significant off flavors. My first batch ever, I pitched in the mid 90s.

The best solution of course is to control your temperature. Some yeast aren't as forgiving as Cooper's. Even if you can get away with something it isn't always the best.

Back