Pacman Starter Issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've made a Pacman starter from a packet of older yeast (June 11). It took a while to get going on the stirplate, but all was normal. I went to step it up since it is for a 12.5 gallon batch of APA. When I decanted it before adding more DME, it smelled really strong, like vomit. It had sat on the stirplate
(12 hr) to clear over night. No big bubbles or off looking infection stuff. Yeast settlement looked clean. Since I had already boiled the DME, I added it and put it back on the stir plate. It took off immediately and I just checked it. No sour smell, no anything. Sprayed the rim with starsan, decanted, and tasted a small bit. Tasted clean, no foul taste at all. I thought for sure something was wrong with it. Guess I'm OK? Brewing on the 4th and thought I'd pop it in the fridge if everyone thinks it's OK. Any of you experienced this smell on your starters? Would you go ahead and pitch it? Made many starters and have never smelled one that strong. Thanks

Yeast can have some very interesting smells. I wouldn't worry too much of the starter beer tasted clean. Cheers!

Back