false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merleti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I am getting the use of a false bottom wrong? I have it in cooler and place the mash in at the last step ( last temp time before boiling). After the mash time is done I am trying to separate the grain from it the mash and drain it back into the main pot so I can boil. My LHB grinds the grains. 6lb of grains for 2 1/2 gals of water. Let me know what book to read as I been using the web and a 20 year old Joy of Homebrewing.

You've got it- "false bottom" is analagous to "giant fixed strainer in your mash tun", is my impression.

Concept is as you have outlined- provide a filtering mechanism within the tun.

Hope this helps
DK

It is, misleading word choice on my part. As a picture is worth a thousand words, here is a commercial option:
False Bottom - 12" - MORE INFO

Basically a fixed strainer that goes across the width of your tun- grains sit on top, and you have a drain below, allowing you to drain your wort from under the grains.

Another option is a manifold that is attached to your drain- see this section from Palmer's How to Brew:
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Getting the Most From the Grainbed

Instead of suspending the grain (like you are doing with a false bottom), a manifold is covered by the grain, but has a bunch of small holes to allow liquid to drain but not the grain. I've seen folks use stainless steel braid line for this as well.

dkennedy thank you for the info. As a newbie having a new piece of equipment not work like you expected sucks. I think my main problem was I forgot to add water to the lauter tun before draining and the grain compacted the false bottom. Then I panicked and broke rule number one. Relax and have a homebrew. All in all the wheat beer hit the O.G. right on the button according to BeerSmith2. Thank you again

No worries, sounds like you had what is called a stuck sparge (terminology....), but....you made beer! Congrats!

Back