NewISH question how to dry to sweet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowlings

Reaction score
I recently got back in to brewing cider. Curently my favorite recipe is
http://ryleh.7hunters.net/brew/brew.htm
(Thor's Hammer). This recipe always comes out dry (which is still really tasty), but I was wanting to try a sweet cider. Where do I need to deviate in this process to make it a sweet cider. Also any other suggestions on process or recipe are welcome.

Since the recipe calls to add Potassium Sorbate, then just add more of what ever kind of sweetener you like to taste. Some of it will ferment as the remaining yeast die off but not much if you let the cider clear for a few months before sweetening.

The only thing I'd do differently than the author did would be to rack the cider off the sediment into another 5 gallon container (5 gallon water jug is just fine for this and cheap at your local *-mart store) then add the sorbate and stir. Then I'd stir in apple concentrate to sweeten to taste. I'd try a can at a time and let sit overnight to make sure its well blended into the mix.

Since the recipe calls to add Potassium Sorbate, then just add more of what ever kind of sweetener you like to taste. Some of it will ferment as the remaining yeast die off but not much if you let the cider clear for a few months before sweetening.

The only thing I'd do differently than the author did would be to rack the cider off the sediment into another 5 gallon container (5 gallon water jug is just fine for this and cheap at your local *-mart store) then add the sorbate and stir. Then I'd stir in apple concentrate to sweeten to taste. I'd try a can at a time and let sit overnight to make sure its well blended into the mix.

+1 on racking off sediment first then you can stir your concentrate in to make sure it is uniform. I also believe to absolutely stop refermentation you will want to add campden tabs (1 / gallon) as well as the sorbate.

The last 5 gallons of cider I kegged was fermented quite dry and I added 3 cans concentrate took it to 1.018 and plenty sweet for my taste. I think 1.01 would have been preferable to my taste but it still quite good.

I don't have carbonation equipment,won't the tablets stop the remaining east from carbonating my bottles? And I do rack to a secondary before the potassium sorbate step, but I don't stir.

I don't have carbonation equipment,won't the tablets stop the remaining east from carbonating my bottles? And I do rack to a secondary before the potassium sorbate step, but I don't stir.

If you're going to carb in the bottle then you'll need to pasteurize in the bottle. There is a sticky in the Cider Forum on that subject. You'd then not add the sorbate.

You rack off the lees into secondary and if adding sorbate then stir. If bottling carbing then again do not add sorbate.

ok I think i got it if i back carb carb no sorbte and pasturise it, thats the one where i cook the bottle right? :)

Latest posts

Back