Chocolate Banana Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
Forgive me if this sounds really stupid (I know what I am about to talk about is above my experience level), but I have been reading the forums a good bit and I am interested in building my own recipe one day so I daydream about what may taste good. Do you think it is possible to create a Chocolate Banana Stout by using chocolate malt, honey malt and WSP300 yeast? If so, what type of hops would you use? (I am imagining a Guinness draught type beer with a background of banana in it that is smooth and creamy)

I have no experience, but I'm wondering what would happen if you used a hefeweizen yeast that typically adds banana and clove flavor to a weizenbier. WLP300, for example.

That is the yeast I meant to type in WLP300 (you are wondering the same thing)

Sounds like an interesting idea boomtown. I'm fairly new at this too and creating new recipes is a bit beyond my own expertise as well, but what you propose sounds interesting.

Hate to say it, but I think in occasions such as these, the best way to do it is just give it a go. That being said, if you or anybody else tries this I know I'd love to hear how it turns out.

What I would do is look or try recipes/kits for a beer you enjoy and think would go well with chocolate/banana flavor. Use that as a base then modify to add the chocolate/banana flavors. You aren't limited to chocolate malt or the yeasts for flavor, friends of mine have used baking chocolate and cocoa powder in the boil which imparted a great chocolate flavor to the final product. Right now I've got about a lb of bananas in my secondary and the banana aroma is great and flavor is starting to come out.

why not. i've had a banana bread bear. either chocolate malt or chocolate nibs would be good, then either real banana's or some banana flavoring (or a combo of both). this would definately be possible. now what are you gonna call it?

I've got a chocolate-coconut brown ale going right now that I added cocoa powder to when I racked it to the secondary. The flavor is great, but with the amount of cocoa powder I used, it was VERY murky for quite some time. It's been in the secondary ~2 weeks and is just starting to clear up a bit now. Looked like diarrhea at first, hahaha... It is still quite cloudy, but does not leave sediment behind in the glass I use to taste samples.

I used ~5-6 oz cocoa powder (my frikkin' electric scale ran out of batteries that day and I didn't have any 9 volts, so all amounts ended up being approximate :( ) for a 3-gal batch. YMMV.

Back