Starting my first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rush2112

Reaction score
Greetings all, I am moments away from diving into my very first brew session. I figured I would document my experience here for your reading pleasure (or comedic relief if I end up creating a couple of gallons of weasel urine).

My first brew is going to be a Blonde Ale from a kit which will (hopefully) provide me with delicious beer and confidence to advance my skills in this hobby. Currently I have all of my various utensils and fermenting bucket sanitized and awaiting employment.

This is definitely an intimidating operation to say the least. Since I don't currently have my own home brew to enjoy I have a very delicious Stovepipe Porter from the Otter Creek brewing company on stand-by for whistle wetting.

At any rate, hopefully my experience is a good one and the wheels don't fall off the wagon half way through. I figured I would take pictures and come back to post them when things are complete.

Rush play list is going, beer is poured, time to do this.

photo(4).JPG

Keep in mind.. this is not rocket science....relax and enjoy the process. your kit will get you the gravity it should so if your radings are off and your volume is right it is a mixing issue ( Figured I would tell you that because that is the #1 issue I see on here with first time brewers) Also no matter what time line the kit gives you, leave the beer alone in the fermentor until the gravity is stable. GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!

Keep in mind.. this is not rocket science....relax and enjoy the process. your kit will get you the gravity it should so if your radings are off and your volume is right it is a mixing issue ( Figured I would tell you that because that is the #1 issue I see on here with first time brewers) Also no matter what time line the kit gives you, leave the beer alone in the fermentor until the gravity is stable. GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!

not rocket science? apparently you never had an air lock explode off your carboy.

Well, the first batch is in its bucket hopefully on the path to fermentation. I feel like it went pretty well, definitely paid a lot of attention to sanitation and whatnot.

I really enjoyed the entire process and regardless as to whether or not this batch comes out great or mediocre I'm definitely going to be looking forward to my next brew.

Also, why do cats only want to be friendly when they know you're wicked busy. They hear productivity and they must put it to a stop apparently.

photo(4).JPG

Rush2112 said:
I really enjoyed the entire process and regardless as to whether or not this batch comes out great or mediocre I'm definitely going to be looking forward to my next brew.

Congratulations on your first batch. It's good to see you enjoyed it. That's what it's all about. Oh....and I guess it's about the beer too.

just resist the urge to look in the bucket for a couple weeks and you'll be fine. its my first batch right now too and its killing me to not look.

That boil pot looks capital-F-Full. No boil over I guess though so that's good!

Also, if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted (or not at all), don't get to discouraged - my first two batches had problems that made them un-drinkable, but they were learning experiences. It's a hobby & a process, try to keep it simple!

My biggest advice that I got from a well seasoned brewer was one that consisted of "don't be so excited to see a nice boil. Let it be a gentle rolling boil." He said it should look like its just starting to boil. He also said if its too high, it will darken your beer more than you want. Other than that, have fun!

That boil pot looks capital-F-Full. No boil over I guess though so that's good!

Also, if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted (or not at all), don't get to discouraged - my first two batches had problems that made them un-drinkable, but they were learning experiences. It's a hobby & a process, try to keep it simple!

Yea, it was definitely a little fuller than I wanted it to be but with some diligent spoon work and temperature control I avoided any boil over. It made the hour go by nice and quick too.

just resist the urge to look in the bucket for a couple weeks and you'll be fine. its my first batch right now too and its killing me to not look.

Yup, kinda wishing I had a carboy so I could see it. Oh well, I'm just pumped I have something to keep me occupied until the Bruins season starts up.

That Nottingham can sometimes be a real beast. If your fermenter has a decent amount of headspace it should be fine, but if it doesn't be prepared to handle a blow out. Have a tube ready just in case.

bosco

I love it. But I try to keep it down in the low 60's for the first 4 or 5 days and then let it come up to ambient room temp (around 68).. My fermenter looks like a snow globe gone crazy for days 3-4 then turns into a 6 gallon crapaccino..LOL It does clean itself up nicely though.

bosco

brewski08 said:
aw man...TSA references are always appropriate.

i'm bummed he hasn't posted a new video in a while...i love getting a good laugh out of them.

Hes been making videos, just not BEER videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things:

First, I appreciate your handle. As we all know, the meek shall inherit the earth.
Second, get a bigger boil pot :)

Two things:

First, I appreciate your handle. As we all know, the meek shall inherit the earth.

Indeed they shall, and yea that's going to be my next investment. Although the constant threat of a boil over was a little exciting, not practical, but Atleast it made the hour fly by.

On a side note, Stovepipe Porter from Otter Creek Brewery is an awesome beer. Congrats on your first brew. I actually just bottled my first batch yesterday.

On a side note, Stovepipe Porter from Otter Creek Brewery is an awesome beer. Congrats on your first brew. I actually just bottled my first batch yesterday.

It was pretty amazing. Couldn't decide if I like the Stovepipe Porter or the Black IPA they have more.

I can't wait to bottle mine, my patients is getting a workout. Drinking all this beer to free up 50 bottles has made for a good few weeks though.

So I think I'm getting close to bottling time. My gravity ratings have been a consistent 1.004 the past two day, obviously activity in the airlock has stopped and things are looking settled.

I think I'm going to move the primary out of my basement into my kitchen in anticipation of bottling within the next few day. Hopefully I'll have some good pictures to post from that.

Well after much anticipation and waiting I cracked my first bottle today with dinner. The steak was good but the brew was amazing. Very crisp and clean tasting with a little hop bitterness at the finish. One of the more refreshing beers I've had. Can't tell you guys how happy I am that everything worked out!

image-3218576135.jpg

gcdowd said:
Stink? Really? I think the smell of boiling wort and hops is about the greatest smell on earth.

I couldn't agree more. I love that smell, my wife, however, does not appreciate it. I was talking to an employee at New Belgium a couple years ago and we were talking about that wonderful smell of sweet wort. He rides his bike to work and said he looks forward to that smell as he nears the brewery.

evo8ur8 said:
Congrats dude!!!! i do have to ask, did it stink up your house boiling it inside?

Nope, no stink. But if you asked my girlfriend youd probably get a different response.

Rush2112 said:
Nope, no stink. But if you asked my girlfriend youd probably get a different response.

Lol, thats y I was asking. I brewed in my garage and my wife asked me if it would always make the house stink. I couldn't smell anything!

evo8ur8 said:
Lol, thats y I was asking. I brewed in my garage and my wife asked me if it would always make the house stink. I couldn't smell anything!

They clearly don't understand the magnitude of what we're doing.

I came to the realization that if I accidentally got sent back in time about 500 years I would be pretty popular due to my beer skills.

Two things:

And when you up size go stainless. You will eventually do that any way. Might as well make the investment during your next upgrade.

Yup, kinda wishing I had a carboy so I could see it. Oh well, I'm just pumped I have something to keep me occupied until the Bruins season starts up.

I just got a glass carbon for this reason. It isn't as exciting to watch as I had hoped. Of course I have not tried a starter yet. That could make things more interesting...

It does offer some degree of reassurance and remove them temptation to peek though.

Back