Finally Bought Foodsaver Bags...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
We're longtime users of the Foodsaver vacuum packaging system. My uncle is the "personality" that sells them on QVC and infomercials, so I got a free one a long time ago. I use it all the time...actually, we have a spare one from when the wife and I moved in together and had a bunch of duplicate kitchen stuff, which means I wouldn't have to lug my grains up to the kitchen.

They work really well on our food, coffee, etc....so I've been thinking that I could extend the life of my precrushed grain (haven't gotten a grain mill yet) if I foodsaved them. Problem is, wifey would have my nutz in a vice if I used the ones that are for the kitchen. So I finally dropped the $40 on the jumbo box of foodsaver rolls at Sam's Club last night, and I'm gonna transfer it all as soon as I can. I'm wondering if anyone knows how long this may increase the shelf life of crushed grain...

I just finished a 1 pound bag of black patent i had vac sealed and it was crushed and fine. I had used a cheap sealer that i had at that time. I now have the food saver and it is superior to my old one.
I vac seal all my opened un-crushed base grain into 2 pound lots

I'm no expert but I'm betting that if you keep the sealed bags in the freezer, the crushed grains will stay good for at least a year.

RichBrewer said:
I'm no expert but I'm betting that if you keep the sealed bags in the freezer, the crushed grains will stay good for at least a year.

If only. I already have 2 chest freezers (ones a lagerator) plus the ref/freezer in the kitchen. And I killed 3 deer the day after thanksgiving, so you couldn't fit so much as a c*nt-hair in our freezers. Somehow I don't see SWMBO letting me get another. But my basement stays cool (it's mid 50's now). I figure a few months...

Back