Beersmith question before 1st AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out Beersmith so I can attempt AG w/ ease this coming weekend. I have entered my equipment - 7.5gal kettle and 12gal coleman cooler mash tun.

I will be doing a single infusion mash and I am trying to understand what it's telling me to do. I'm doing a Dogfish Head 60min IPA clone with a grain bill of 13.4 pnds.

It tells me to mash in 16.74 qtz of water at 169.4 to mash at 154 F which I understand.

Then it tells me to mash out 9.37 qtz at 198.2 F but the step temp is 168. Do I dump almost boiling water into the mash tun and then wait till it cools to 168 before letting it sit for 10 minutes? This is where I'm having trouble.

Thanks

I am trying to figure out Beersmith so I can attempt AG w/ ease this coming weekend. I have entered my equipment - 7.5gal kettle and 12gal coleman cooler mash tun.

I will be doing a single infusion mash and I am trying to understand what it's telling me to do. I'm doing a Dogfish Head 60min IPA clone with a grain bill of 13.4 pnds.

It tells me to mash in 16.74 qtz of water at 169.4 to mash at 154 F which I understand.

Then it tells me to mash out 9.37 qtz at 198.2 F but the step temp is 168. Do I dump almost boiling water into the mash tun and then wait till it cools to 168 before letting it sit for 10 minutes? This is where I'm having trouble.

Thanks

If you're doing a mash out (and when I batch sparge, I don't bother), you'll add the nearly boiling water to your finished mash, and stir like a madman. The result should be 168 degrees throughout the grainbed. Then, you can start your sparge.

Back