A brewing day of firsts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rezilynt

Reaction score
I decided to brew my first Scotch Ale yesterday.
It was my first time doing a full boil.
My first time using my immersion chiller which was my first beer DIY project.
My first time going over on the OG. It was suppose to be 1.057-55 and ended up 1.064. I can't figure that one out. The only issue I had during the process was this. I was getting ready to put my chiller in the wort 15 minutes prior to finish and my dog got loose. I caught my dog and luckily did not have a boil over while I was chasing him down. Anyway I ended up having to boil an extra 15 minutes.
This was also the first time I've tasted what I would call a nicotine flavor.

Does anyone have any ideas about the OG being that much higher? The reading temp was 60 deg F and I ended up with 4.75 gallons (I did add the extra 1/4) I know it's fine but jsut would like to learn something from this. Thanks!

Recipe:

8 lbs Light extract
4 oz chocolate malt
8oz chrystal 70L Malt
8oz Munich malt
2 oz Peated Malt
2oz Fuggles - 1.5 @60 .5 @1 I only addes a little over 1 @ 60n to compensate for the full boil

Hrm... I'm not sure about the nicotine flavor. I don't really know what that tastes like anyway.

My first full boil, I ended up with a higher OG than expected- I think that was because I didn't take into account boil-off. So instead of starting with 6 gallons and boil down to 5, I started with 5 gallons and boiled down to 4, making a much more dense beer.

What volume of water did you start with? end with?

Just my thoughts. Hope you figure out the nicotine flavor.

I'm not sure what you mean by nicotine flavor. Nicotine being an extremely deadly poison in a concentration that you could actually taste it, I'm assuming you mean a tobacco flavor? I could see tobacco type flavors coming from your steeping grains. Tobacco is an extremely common scent in colognes and is quite pleasing to the senses of most people, even if they don't like burning tobacco.

Are you describing something more chemically/artificial?

Funny, I was just responding to one of your posts.
I guess tobacco would better describe it. I can't smell anything so my tastes are sometimes a little off. It was kind of like the taste of a cigarette butt. I really curious about the higher OG as I'm usually always spot on to this guys "kits"

Back