Kolsch...kinda sorta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraconianHand

nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a Kolsch two weekends ago, the first Kolsch I have ever brewed. Since I don't have the equipment to ferment at temps lower than about 65F, I had a problem.

I thought I remembered a Jamil Show episode on Kolsch and it was mentioned that if you couldn't get your temp down, the next thing to try was a clean fermenting yeast such as WLP001 (Cali). So that is what I did.

Just recently I went back and listened to that show and found that what was discussed was just the opposite of what I had remembered. A search of HBT found the same thing. If you want a Kolsch, use a Kolsch yeast.

So, here are my questions:
  1. What general type of beer (closest style) do I have fermenting?
  2. How big a difference in flavor is the Cali yeast going to make over a Kolsch? I have only had one Kolsch (Shiner Kolsch), so I don't have much to relate to.
  3. Will 3 weeks at 50F work for a Kolsch (I am testing a lagering box at this moment)?
Size: 5.5 gal
OG: 1.046 / TG: 1.012 (forecast)
Color: 3.5 / Alcohol: 4.45% / Bitterness: 23.77

8.5 lbs Pilsen Malt
1 lbs Munich Malt
.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
2 oz Tettnanger (3%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Tettnanger (3%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 ea White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Single infustion mash mash @ 149F

I think this weekend I will give it another go, this time with Kolsch yeast. I plan to use the same recipe, only the yeast will differ.

Back