help with a Belgian strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I rarely pick up recipes from the LHBS, but I wanted to go with something "proven."
So here goes. I did not plan on 65% efficiency - I normally get 75-80%, but I got what I got.

Author: abt 12 "Stumblin Monk
Date: 12/26/10

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 65.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%

Original Gravity: 1.085 (1.075 - 1.110)
Terminal Gravity: 1.021 (1.010 - 1.024)
Color: 23.73 (12.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 8.42% (8.0% - 11.0%)
Bitterness: 37.4 (20.0 - 30.0)

Ingredients:
15 lb Belgian Pale
.75 lb Kiln Coffee Malt
1.0 lb Belgian Candi Syrup
.75 lb German CaraMunich I
.75 lb Crystal 60
.13 lb Belgian Special B
.13 lb German Carafa II
2.0 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 85 min

mashed at 152 x 90 mins

The recipe states to ferment at 68-70 F. (I used Wyeast Belgian abbey II with a very large starter.) After this, rack to secondary and pitch White Labs 099 until reaching a FG of 1.025.

Today I checked the gravity using the refractometer and a hydrometer. The refractometer is giving a reading that when plugged into BTP states a FG of 1.016. The hydrometer states 1.021. In either case, this is lower than the recipe states it should be AFTER the second pitching.

So - what should I do? Pitch it anyway? Add some fermentables and then re-pitch? If so, what?
This is my first Belgian so I am a bit lost.
Thanks,
kc

I wouldn't pitch a 2nd yeast. Generally you'll do that to continue dropping the gravity, but flavor wise, the yeasts work is done. That is unless you're looking to have a different yeast type for bottle conditioning.

099 is definitely not needed for this. I wouldn;t even consider it until you're over 1.110

i am interested in the coffee malt in this as thats really odd for a belgian. hows that working?

Not sure how the coffee is working. The reason I added it was after talking with the Steinbart's guy. It seemed like it could make for an interesting addition.

Good advice from you both - if it is done, it's done. No need for more yeast. I'll bet if my efficiency had been better it way have been needed.

One more question - I am bottling this one; I normally go into a keg to force carb. So should I mix up the boiled sugar/water solution, add to my keg then immediately tranfser into bottles?

Back