Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it gets decided on a soft goal. Back to the conference discussion, I guess. :)

p.s. All of the discussion is bull, given no inter-conference play. But, going back to last year, Pittsburgh had a pretty impressive record in inter-conference play. Just sayin.

All of the discussion is bull, given no inter-conference play.

It's dumb either way. Fifteen teams in each conference. About 10 good ones. Picking which ones are better based on geography is like TSN deciding which team Canada should root for based on how many Canadians are on their roster.

Hawks all the way. No doubt.

Still a lot of games left....

And reverting back to a previous thought (didnt feel like double posting) after watching a bunch of the western conference games, i still stand by my previous statement of its more finesse play, less hard hitting. There are a lot more one man break outs, a lot less contact after shots/passes contact, not a whole lot of physicality to it. Granted it's playoffs and no one wants to be hurt or lose players to penalties..but the eastern conference certainly has a lot more grit to it. A lot more contact, a lot of dump and chase, a lot more of that in your face style of play.

I still say the east takes it..whoever it ends up being.

Still a lot of game left....

And reverting back to a previous thought (didnt feel like double posting) after watching a bunch of the western conference games, i still stand by my previous statement of its more finesse play, less hard hitting. There are a lot more one man break outs, a lot less contact after shot/pass contact, not a whole lot of physicality to it. Granted it's playoffs and no one wants to be hurt or lose players to penalties..but the eastern conference certainly has a lot more grit to it. A lot more contact, a lot of dump and chase, a lot more of that in your face style of play.

I was among those talking **** about the WC, but if you don't think the Kings have grit and physicality you haven't really watched much hockey at all.

Maybe its the lack of adrenaline from watching a game that i don't REALLY care about either team.

Im not saying there isn't any physicality or grit, i just don't think it is as prevalent as in the EC...

Is what it is. For every thing said in this thread, theres undoubtedly going to be someone to disagree

And reverting back to a previous thought (didnt feel like double posting) after watching a bunch of the western conference games, i still stand by my previous statement of its more finesse play, less hard hitting. There are a lot more one man break outs, a lot less contact after shots/passes contact, not a whole lot of physicality to it. Granted it's playoffs and no one wants to be hurt or lose players to penalties..but the eastern conference certainly has a lot more grit to it. A lot more contact, a lot of dump and chase, a lot more of that in your face style of play.

Talking my book, but I think Pittsburgh still has the best chance/underlying structure to win. They combine great skill and finesse players, but also able to grind it out and play a high contact game.

The reality is that any of the remaining four can win in terms of none would be a huge suprise in terms of talent. Detroit (now eliminated, 2008 Stanley cup winners), Pittsburgh (2009), Chicago (2010), Boston (2011), LA (2012)...the final teams. Another homer statement, but Pittsburgh has a considerably stronger team than the one that beat Detroit in the Stanley Cup finals in 2009...with the possible exception of defense shutdown when they also had Scuderi and Hal Gil (not to mention Gonchar as an offensive D- man).

I was among those talking **** about the WC, but if you don't think the Kings have grit and physicality you haven't really watched much hockey at all.

I almost put in my other post....the Kings are like a EC team :)
Edit: Maybe even like an Atlantic Division team....which a bunch of their players are from.

Talking my book, but I think Pittsburgh still has the best chance/underlying structure to win. They combine great skill and finesse players, but also able to grind it out and play a high contact game.

I agree, but thats because pittsburgh (much like the yankees in baseball and the heat in the AHL (african handball league)) are essentially trying to buy a championship. They had a solid team before the trade deadline and then it was almost sad with how desperate they look scooping up any talent they could.

Yes, yes, i understand every team would do it if they had the funds etc blah blah blah,

On top of being a bruins fan, i would like to see the bruins advance just to stick it to iginla. He verbally committed to Boston before backing out and going to pittsburgh and then came out to say he had a better shot of winning in pitt. On paper i agree the pens have a better team, but i think it'll be a good series and i know rask is going to shake off the game 4 rangers jitters and play better than ever.

I agree, but thats because pittsburgh (much like the yankees in baseball and the heat in the AHL (african handball league)) are essentially trying to buy a championship. They had a solid team before the trade deadline and then it was almost sad with how desperate they look scooping up any talent they could.

Yes, yes, i understand every team would do it if they had the funds etc blah blah blah,

On top of being a bruins fan, i would like to see the bruins advance just to stick it to iginla. He verbally committed to Boston before backing out and going to pittsburgh and then came out to say he had a better shot of winning in pitt. On paper i agree the pens have a better team, but i think it'll be a good series and i know rask is going to shake off the game 4 rangers jitters and play better than ever.

I love the lunacy of how the media overblew that situation... He listed Boston as a team he would waive his trade clause for.. he did not verbally commit. He was given a choice of the two cities to go to, and the pens came out on top there.

So he pulled a Bourque?

If you can actually sit there and think those are the same situations, you sir, are an idiot. Boston was happy to see bourque go to the avalanche because they knew they werent contenders when bourques career was winding down. He had been a bruin since entering the nhl and they felt he deserved a cup. Thats also why he retired a bruin.

I love the lunacy of how the media overblew that situation... He listed Boston as a team he would waive his trade clause for.. he did not verbally commit. He was given a choice of the two cities to go to, and the pens came out on top there.

Could be right, could be the way the media protrayed it, but the several things i read said that the coach of calgary had told chiarelli he was a lock for boston and it was done...only to find out it was incorrect.

Chiarelli disagrees with this.

...and based on the apparent ineptitude of Calgary GM Jay Feaster, I believe him. Boston got shafted. Iggy thinks Pens will bring him a cup and the Bruins won't, so time to prove the sucker wrong.

They combine great skill and finesse players, but also able to grind it out and play a high contact game.

They sure can. It's a good thing they don't have a lot of those p*ssy western conference finesse guys on their roster. Except for Doug Murray, and Brendan Morrow, and Jarome Iginla, And James Neal, and Matt Niskanen, and Matt Cooke.;)

Matt Cooke is a thug and shouldn't be allowed on the ice anymore.

/discussion

lol. Have you watched his game in the last few years? There was a time when he was a bit of a thug, but he certainly isn't now.

I cant wait for you to whine after the bruins get beat. You are a shining of example as to why boston sports fans are just above Philly fans at the bottom of the cesspool.

lol. Have you watched his game in the last few years? There was a time when he was a bit of a thug, but he certainly isn't now.

I cant wait for you to whine after the bruins get beat. You are a shining of example as to why boston sports fans are just above Philly fans at the bottom of the cesspool.

I used to think that way. Then I went to Philly, and actually went to a hockey game. Really solid people in that town. I am a changed man.

He may have "toned it down" some...but he still isn't great..

and how the hell am i a shining example? I won't be whining if the bruins get beat. If they do, they do... is what it is. Isn't going to make me any less of a fan. I'm not a fair weather watcher, i'm not a pink hat and i don't jump on bandwagons. i've been a bruins fan, and what i think - fairly level headed, when it comes to subjective situations of gameplay...

but i'm sorry... after the start of last season with crosbys PSA of "we need to take head hits out of the game" i'll be sure to care when your teammate is one of the biggest offenders... when was the last time mark savard stepped on the ice? ohhh that's right? he almost got horton last year too... i agree there's no place for it in any facet of this game, but some players target or at least get caught with questionable hits more than others... and cooke is one of those players.

don't act like you know everything about hockey because you support a town that is the shining star child of the nhl at the moment. that train will pass, crosby will fade and the next prodigy will step up... and then the same version of you will say the same **** defending whatever town the nhl picks to back.

like i've been saying, it's going to be a good series, don't act like i'm someone who's been blasting off about how boston is going to spank the asses of everyone they face, i'm not naive... it's going to be a tough series, i'm hopeful and i think it is possible for boston to win, but it certainly won't be a cake walk.

I'd like to see the Bruins do well just to make Toronto look better :D

But I'd like to see the Kings win again... I'm kind of in love with them and the way they play. They've got a relatively clean physicality... whereas the Bruins are possibly the best at playing just dirty enough to succeed.

I used to think that way. Then I went to Philly, and actually went to a hockey game. Really solid people in that town. I am a changed man.

i like the city and dont even mind the hockey...but i got pissed when i heard the fans booing and jeering when they were doing Canada's national anthem during the winter classic. Im not even Canadian and it pissed me off.

776267692.gif

They sure can. It's a good thing they don't have a lot of those p*ssy western conference finesse guys on their roster. Except for Doug Murray, and Brendan Morrow, and Jarome Iginla, And James Neal, and Matt Niskanen, and Matt Cooke.;)

Not sure why you are bringing this up in reply to my post...I never said anything about p*ssy western conference play.

On the other hand, I did like watching the Penguins last year do *very* well against the Western conference, and expect to see it again this year in the Stanley cup finals. :)

/QUOTE]
Have you actually watched him play the last two years? I have (watched pretty much ALL of the Penguins games), and although he is still a touch competitor, his play has been remarkedly different and has gone out of his way to stand there and take physical abuse from other players.

and how the hell am i a shining example? I won't be whining if the bruins get beat. If they do, they do...
Don't worry, they will get beat.

Besides, you live in CT, you don't even have a hockey team. :) [And I'm old enough to remember when the Hartford Whalers essentially blew the franchise with the Ron Francis trade to Pittsburgh.

Besides, you live in CT, you don't even have a hockey team. :) [And I'm old enough to remember when the Hartford Whalers essentially blew the franchise with the Ron Francis trade to Pittsburgh.

I moved to Connecticut in September for work... I grew up 15 Minutes from the Boston Garden...

There have been rumors of a team coming back to Ct, as much as I would love to have an nhl team within an easy drive to go to a game or two after work, i wouldn't be able to fully support any other team than the Bruins.

I understand all of this back and forth between everyone is easily taken out of context or read without the sarcasm etc that you would get from actual conversation, but i'm not trying to be the one who incites riots in here..

i'm confident the bruins are going to do well in the next round, i'm not running around screaming they are going to win, it's a good possibility they wont, but i am confident that if they go down, it'll be swinging

But I'd like to see the Kings win again... I'm kind of in love with them and the way they play. They've got a relatively clean physicality...

Two words; Dustin Brown. Not sure which of the LA Kings you're referring to, maybe Kopitar, but Brown is pretty widely known as a cheap shot artist.

Either way, after all those blowout games in the semis, I pick the Hawks in four, maybe five games. Every win will be by 3 or 4 goals. Parity. ;)

Two words; Dustin Brown. Not sure which of the LA Kings you're referring to, maybe Kopitar, but Brown is pretty widely known as a cheap shot artist.

Either way, after all those blowout games in the semis, I pick the Hawks in four, maybe five games. Every win will be by 3 or 4 goals. Parity. ;)

I like it. And as long as Ivy keeps crapping on Sharpie's lawn it'll be a quick road to the cup. :D

and how the hell am i a shining example? I won't be whining if the bruins get beat. If they do, they do... is what it is. Isn't going to make me any less of a fan. I'm not a fair weather watcher, i'm not a pink hat and i don't jump on bandwagons. i've been a bruins fan, and what i think - fairly level headed, when it comes to subjective situations of gameplay...

but i'm sorry... after the start of last season with crosbys PSA of "we need to take head hits out of the game" i'll be sure to care when your teammate is one of the biggest offenders... when was the last time mark savard stepped on the ice? ohhh that's right? he almost got horton last year too... i agree there's no place for it in any facet of this game, but some players target or at least get caught with questionable hits more than others... and cooke is one of those players.

don't act like you know everything about hockey because you support a town that is the shining star child of the nhl at the moment. that train will pass, crosby will fade and the next prodigy will step up... and then the same version of you will say the same **** defending whatever town the nhl picks to back.

like i've been saying, it's going to be a good series, don't act like i'm someone who's been blasting off about how boston is going to spank the asses of everyone they face, i'm not naive... it's going to be a tough series, i'm hopeful and i think it is possible for boston to win, but it certainly won't be a cake walk.

I actually don't support a town. I dont even really care for Pitt, I used to live there. I support the Penguins, because that's what I grew up supporting.

Just because the NHL picked my team, and it's best player, as the poster child for the league doesn't saying anything about my fandom. It certainly has created a lot of jealousy and made the pens a lightning rod for criticisms and all forms of douschebaggery from other teams fans though...

I don't remember saying I knew everything about hockey, not even a little bit.
Matt Cooke, however is no longer in the top 10 of dirtiest players, he certainly was, but his game has changed A LOT. The cooke/karlsson incident this year was just bad luck for both, and anyone objectively watching that play can't say that it was purposeful, certainly not with malicious intent. Play just like that happen 20 times a game. Other than that one incident I would love for you to point out another instance from this season that is evidence of your thug claim. BTW, Matt Cooke is the best fore-checking penalty killer in the league, guy is an animal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't consider the karlsson incident intentional. If I cared a little more i'd run through some reruns and see what i could find, but i couldnt honestly care all that much

Hopefully the bruins will sit on their lead and lose it in the third as always...

I'm going to dedicate a beer to Boston after this series is over

"Oud Bruin's Suck"

It'll be ready to drink by the time they miss the playoffs next year.

:D

Hopefully the bruins will sit on their lead and lose it in the third as always...

I'm going to dedicate a beer to Boston after this series is over

"Oud Bruin's Suck"

It'll be ready to drink by the time they miss the playoffs next year.

:D

Ahh the jealousy..I love it..

No jealousy here. I'm about as happy as can be with my teams performance, despite being down 1. No way the bruins win this game of both teams play like they did in the 1st.

Back