Beginner worries with fermentation and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehron

Reaction score
I began homebrewing only about two months ago. My first batch was a Brewer's best kit of Irish Stout and it turned out excellent. It was in fact one of the best tasting beers I've had.

So this time I tried to brew a batch of Elbro Nerkte Brown Ale from The Joy of Homebrewing. The beer is supposed to ferment in 5-6 days. So today is day 7 and the airlock was quiet I got my bottling equipment ready and opened up the bucket.

The top of the beer had stuff floating on it that looked as if some of the yeast had settled on the top or something. It looked kind of like someone had sprinkled cinnamon on the beer. There were also a few bubbles coming up slowly through the film and particles.

The beer smells fine.

The Final Gravity reading was a little high as well. My FG was 1.020 and I was looking for 1.014. (The OG was actually a little lower than it should have been. 1.040 as opposed to 1.046).

Is it contaminated or is it maybe not finished?

Let it sit for another week. If I'm just doing one stage fermentation I always leave it for two week. That stuff on the top it just left overs from the krausen, yeast, hops, and co2 bubbles. Leaving it in there for two week will help it lower your SG and you won't have to worry about bottle bombs(not to mention it will probably taste better too).

Give it a good swirl to rouse the yeast and let it sit for a couple days..

Yeast is ugly stuff, that's why I brew in plastic.

I think you need to aerate

I respectfully disagree. I do not think that now is the time to aerate. Maybe keep that in mind for your next batch, but aerating the (mostly) fermented beer is sure to cause off flavors.

I would let it sit for a few more days. Maye add some yeast nutrient and try to get the yeast back into suspension without aerating too much. Your beer is almost definetly not contaminated.

- magno

mmditter said:
I think you need to aerate (grab the top of the carboy and get your beer going around in a whirlpool for about 30 seconds. Within 12-24 hours you should see a lot more action.

Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt that done before pitching?

JimmyBeam said:
Correct me if Im wrong, but isnt that done before pitching?

You are correct!!

But; gently swirling the bucket bucket will rouse the yeast
and give them a chance to finish their job. No aeration involved..

:mug:

There is most likely enough yeast in suspention to get the job done. Don't rock the boat (or the fermenter for that matter). When your starting out the hydrometer is not a very user friendly piece of equipment it makes you worry more than you should. Let it sit two week at 60-70 deg and bottle.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to let it sit a few more days.

I'm learning how the "Don't worry..." came about. It's easy to get worked up and worried about messing up your batch.

I also doubt its contaminated, because it smells spot on.

Back