Cold crashed irish stout too early. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexnova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made an irish stout from an extract kit with White Labs irish ale yeast. After a day the fermenter bubbled vigorously (once every 3 seconds)for several days, then ceased after a week at 70F. I let it sit a few more days and thinking it was pretty much done I - stupidly - set it outside to cold crash without taking a reading.

Popped the top and took a sample. 1.025 after 13 days in the bucket (temperature adjusted). It's been cold crashing for 3 days. Bring it back inside and warm it up until it hits target FG (~1.014)? Rack it? Dump it? FWIW, I will keg and force-carb this brew.

I'd warm it and try to rouse the yeast or warm it and pitch a starter that is already at high krausen The starter could be American ale etc.

I used a calculator to adjust the readings for the cold.

On the plus side, it tastes like a stout, so it's not completely ruined. ;)

Yeah, I say never dump. You can learn more by drinking your failures than dumping them.

No tot say this is a failure. It sounds like quite good, actually.

After cold crashing the yeast may have trouble getting back up to speed on their own with what's left of the sugar currently but even after cold crashing there's always enough yeast still there to carb with priming sugar.

I'd say like above warm it up gently swirl or stir and see what happens or if that doesn't work pitch a starter as mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

After cold crashing the yeast may have trouble getting back up to speed on their own with what's left of the sugar currently but even after cold crashing there's always enough yeast still there to carb with priming sugar.

I'd say like above warm it up gently swirl or stir and see what happens or if that doesn't work pitch a starter as mentioned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

That's my plan. I'll give it a week before pitching a starter. Should I go with the same yeast or use another one?

You're fine with warming it up and letting the yeast finish their job. What you're looking at is a bit of lag period before they get back in gear.

The good news is that you like the way it tastes and that you are kegging. So, if you really want to then you can just say to hell with it and keg it! The only drawback is...
hA76A2034

Took a reading today and no change. We had the air handler in the house conk out earlier in the week and it got down to about 50F for a day. Still tastes alright and there was a good blanket of CO2 on top of the wort so it's not dead yet. SWMBO is growing weary of having the bucket sitting around, so I'll probably keg it this weekend and have it carbed in plenty of time for St Paddy's Day.

It'll be on the sweet side, but we'll live.

Well, it's been in the keg for not quite 2 weeks and it turned out alright. Got better once it was sufficiently carbonated. The little bit of sweetness just makes it go down that much easier.

You're fine with warming it up and letting the yeast finish their job. What you're looking at is a bit of lag period before they get back in gear.

The good news is that you like the way it tastes and that you are kegging. So, if you really want to then you can just say to hell with it and keg it! The only drawback is...
hA76A2034

Lmfao I'm freaking dying... DIABEETUS!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back