Harvesting individual cones question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
My first year bines have grown some very impressive cones. Here's my question/concern: There are a bunch of cones that look fully developed and ready to harvest while there are still tons of buds that have not even begun to form the cones.

Should I/ Could I pluck these full grown cones individually so that they do not go bad on the bine? Will they remain fresh and usable if I wait what I guess will be several weeks before the rest of the buds catch up?

Are you sure they are ready to be picked, are the tips turning brown and do the hops feel sort of papery? If they are then you can pick them individually and it won't hurt the others. If you dry them and package them properly they will be fresh and usable for plenty of time.

i think our second year cascades may in the same situation. they're starting to turn a little brown and the lupulin inside is very fragrant! what about freezing them so that they can be brewed as a wet hop later?

Back