Help with Single Hop Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkiller001

Reaction score
Late last week I had posted a thread about making a "SMaSH-like" beer (I'm brewing extract with specialty grains) with Northern Brewer hops. Thanks again to everyone who posted, all of the posts were useful. The idea is to make a single hop IPA with a very woodsy/spicy hop. I've looked through some recipes online and in one of books, and loosely based the recipe below on them.
I've been messing around with both Beer Recipator and Hopville.com -- this is something I put together on hopville.
I'll be the first to admit that I'm too new at this to be making my own recipes, but I was trying to put together the various input from my last post. Any further inputs would be greatly appreciated.

OG:1.072
FG: 1.018
Color 8° SRM
Mash Efficiency 40% (for the steeped grains -- i'm not actually mashing)
IBU:56.3
3lbs Vienna Malt (steeped at 150 F)
7Lbs Light DME
Boil 60 mins 1.5 Northern Brewer info pellet @ 8.5%
Boil 30 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer info pellet @ 8.5%
Boil 15 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer info pellet @ 8.5%
Boil 5 mins 1.0 Northern Brewer info pellet @ 8.5%
Dry hop 7 days 1.5 Northern Brewer info pellet @ 8.5%

Planning to pitch on WY1332 (similar to Nottingham, I believe).

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm curious as to what you are wanting to accomplish by adding the Vienna Malt. I'm not criticizing I'm just curious... :)
The numbers seem to be to style as far as an IPA goes...

Honestly? The Vienna Malt is coming from Death Brewer's suggestion that a SMaSH with Vienna and Northern Brewer was a great combo. Unfortunately I'm not an all grain brewer, and there's no Vienna Malt Extract -- so I was trying to do both. Think its worth it?
-a

Without actually mashing the Vienna, I don't think you'll get much good out of it. I think you'd be better off steeping something like carapils(~1lb), which will give you a little more body and some good head retention, without adding too much color. Seems like you're looking for a fairly light colored beer, right? Also, you can try to add just a tad of a very light crystal malt.
I could be wrong, but I believe I read somewhere that when you steep base grains which usually need to be mashed, you can end up getting more haze in your beer... not that it stops too many people...

+1 on not steeping the Vienna malt. I'd go with around a pound of specialty grains. Maybe some light Crystal or CaraVienne and some carapils for body and head retention. DeathBrewers suggestion was for a AG and didn't really conform to what you were trying to do. I'd also go with Columbus hops, but that's just me.

Also, if your looking for a yeast that's similar to Nottingham, go with Nottingham. That way you don't have to make a starter and you can just rehydrate while your brewing.

I'm loving the suggestions guys. As I've said -- I'm probably way too inexperienced to be making up my own recipes (as must be obvious to y'all).
Omar: I realize that the Single Malt part of a SMaSH brew is out the window once I'm using DME or LME, but I was trying to train my palate with malt and hops. Carapils might be a good idea. I'm not tied to a very light colored beer, I just didn't understand what I was doing with the vienna.
Hooter: Columbus and Northern Brewer are my top two choices -- ultimately it'll have to do with what my LHBS has in stock, and relative alpha acid levels in them. Thanks for the heads up on the yeast as well.

When I get a minute I'll put re-formulate and re-post the recipe.

-aaron

Ok --
I futzed around with the specialty malts. I figured 8 oz each Cara-pils and 60L Crystal gave me a slightly darker colored beer with better head retention and body.

I'm heading to the store this afternoon, hopefully brewing tonight or tomorrow AM. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks for putting up with my early attempts at putting together a sensible looking recipe.

-aaron

Back