The Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which mill did you buy? If it's the Barley Crusher, I'd say leave it alone. Mine was set perfectly when I got it.

To actually answer your question, however, look for cracked husks (cracked, but in tact), whole kernals, and not too much flour.

On a side note, it's a trip to see you posting again. The place has grown and changed a bunch since you were last here. The last thing I remember was you slicing yourself open on a carboy.

Welcome back!!!

:mug:

I got the "Malt Mill" and it was set to make flour. I was playing with it but excessive beer drinking over the years and having just done my first batch in a year, my memory of what it should look like has dimmed. The first attempt at milling produced a significant amount of flour, so I added rice hulls to help the filter bed. and figured I'd ask here

There's a good picture in How to Brew that shows what the crush should look like. The accompanying text explains what you're looking for.

f85.sm.jpg

This is the small version. Click the link above to get to the relevant How to Brew page and link to the larger picture.

Chad

Go to an auto parts store, get yourself a $2 set of feeler gauges, and use them to set the gap in the mill. 0.039" is the factory setting of the barley crusher IIRC, so it should be a decent starting point for you.

Back