Ethanol instead of yeast !?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irena

Reaction score
hi,i'm living in a country with lack of good yeast for brewing.i'm currently at my 3rd batch while previous batches were horrible at taste because of bad yeast (i think so).
so i'm deciding to use ethanol (pure alcohol) instead of yeast.i read somewhere that the only disadvantage about using pure alcohol instead of yeast is the sweeter taste of final beer that it's solvable by adding more hops to the wort (adding more hops is my idea) !
i don't like to ruin my 3rd batch so please help.
thanks.

I am living in Moldova, no a thing here for the homebrewer yet. I just ordered some yeast and nutrient from [email protected] last week. I have yet to receive it but I am sure it is with the postal system of moldova. She was very helpful and friendly.

I would order some dry yeast. Read everything you can on washing yeast and then order some liquid yeast, and reuse

Why not just buy some beers and culture some good yeast?? i find it hard to believe nobody in Poland has good yeast. Especially with all the Polish beers we get here as imports.

Is bread baking yeast available to you? Ive used it and my beer came out fine - less than perfect, but nothing clearly wrong with it. Though I don't know how the US strain would compare to what you might have available.

Yes,your right actually i should said it's hard to find good yeast at my little village that is far from the nearest city which i can buy some good yeast.
the only yeasts i can buy here are only one or two native yeasts from Poland that i think they're responsible for the bad smell and taste of my beers.how can i culture yeast from commercial beer ?

Is bread baking yeast available to you? Ive used it and my beer came out fine - less than perfect, but nothing clearly wrong with it. Though I don't know how the US strain would compare to what you might have available.

yes,bread yeast is available here,but i think they are horrible for beer brewing because its sourdough yeast, and i heard it may turns my wort into something like cider !

Some commercial beer is unfiltered, so there is a little bit of yeast in the sediment at the bottom of the bottle.
Collect the sediment from a few bottles and add some (about 100ml) of wort in a small jar.
Cover loosely with foil to keep dust out, but let air in and CO2 out.
After 2 days transfer to a larger jar and add more (about 1000ml) wort.
After 2 days there should be enough yeast to brew a batch of beer.

It is essential that all jars, tools, and wort be as clean as is possible.

I may give this a shot too, just to see what I can do with the yeast.

Mechanicsburg, PA - I lived there for years, right on Trindle Road and the Carlisle Pike. There used to be a small trailer park next to K-Mart many years ago.

Back