pitched beer yeast on wine kit - oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-Juice

Reaction score
so I was mixing up a 4 week juice wine kit yesterday and it was yeast pitching time. I grabbed the pack from the fridge and sprinkled it and then realized that it was beer yeast and not the wine yeast that came in the kit.

the wine is a moscato and the yeast I pitched was safeale-05. it has been sitting for 24 hours and is not bubbling yet.

it occurred to me this evening that it is an option to pitch the wine yeast also.

does anyone have any suggestion what I should do?

Thanks.

two options: heat the liquid to pasturization temperatures, or hit it with some campden tablets to knock out the us05, wait 24 hours then pitch the wine yeast.

Hmmm, US-05 and moscato sounds interesting actually. What wine yeast are you considering pitching? What is the alcohol tolerance on US-05 anyway, I can never find it when I go looking?

Hmmm, US-05 and moscato sounds interesting actually.

Exactly what I was thinking. Most of the ladies in my neighborhood drink sweet moscato, St.Jeans or Barefoot. I tried making a dry moscato and backsweetening, but to me it just doesn't taste right.

This might be a way to keep the natural sweetness in the wine.

i am finding reports of 10 to 12% alcohol tolerance on the safale 05.

The wine yeast that came with the kit is lalvin EC-1118.

going on 2 days sitting and no visible signs of fermentation.

Wine yeasts tend to be more aggressive than beer yeasts. If you pitch the wine yeast, it will probably put compete the beer yeast and take over the fermentation.

I don't think you need to pasteurize it, especially if you haven't seen anything for 2 days.

Now that sounds like wisdom right there. But the fool that I am pitched the wine yeast last night without taking a hydrometer reading. Why didnt I think of that?

I would at least get one as soon as possible. Did you happen to take one initially, when you assembled it all? The EC-1118 should definitely dominate the US-05 and ferment this kit to bone dry. What brand kit are you working with by the way?

OG on 7-7-13 was 1.066 at 78 degrees F

SG on 7-10-13 is 1.018 at 80 degrees F

It looks like i am losing gas through the gasket where the airlock fits in the fermenter lid. Thus no airlock bubbles.

The kit is a world vineyard winexpert moscato kit.

It tastes OK at this point (3 days old)

Well I am back to report on my mistake.

It seems as thong the wine finished out fine. SG on 7-21 measured .994 which was right at target.

Drinking my first bottle tonight 2 weeks after bottling and it tastes fine. I am not a connoisseur, but it tastes pretty good to me. Pretty much what I expected when I started.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Latest posts

Back