Custom Brew Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crxyem

Reaction score
Pearl Street DTA ,Hybrid IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

08-C English Pale Ale, Extra Special/Strong Bitter

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.072
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 60
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 18 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 8.00
Anticipated OG: 1.0528 Plato: 13.046
Anticipated SRM: 55.9
Anticipated IBU: 63.7
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.0449 SG 11.16 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Garetz

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
62.5 5.00 lbs. Alexander LME - ME10 America 1.0370 14
25.0 2.00 lbs. Chocolate Malt GR600 1.0295 456
12.5 1.00 lbs. Rice Extract DME50 Generic 1.0400 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 5.60 36.4 60 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 27.3 60 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.40 0.0 10 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----
Lallemand Nottingham

Notes
----
OG = 1.052
FG =1.011
about 5.4% abv

This brew was bottled on 12/3, still conditioning. I don't plan on tasting this until x-mas eve it's either going to be a brilliant surprise or bitter disappointment. Before we started weighting all the ingredients and before we setup our grain mill we eyed how much steeping grains that were being used. When we were bottling this it's aroma smelled wonderful and I took a taste from the sample we used for the FG reading, and I would say it had a nice bitter bite. This recipe seems to fit nicely to this style of beer other than the color and the hops are on the upper limit.

So what would you call this beer, as far as trying to classify it and are there any changes that you might suggest to improving this brew if you think it needs improving on?

Thanks for your feedback

Cascade and Amarillo makes this more an American PA rather than an English Bitter, for which you'd use something like Fuggles, Goldings etc. With that much chocolate malt, how's the colour - amber or blackish ?

Whatever it's called, it looks good. Should be lovely

I don't know what I would call it, just by looking at the recipe. You might just have to look at it and taste it to see what you have. I agree, though, it sounds nice.

TL

So a beer is classified as English or British mainly based on the origin of the hops used ?

How do you have a pale ale with SRM in the 50s and the flavor of 2# of chocolate malt?

That's like calling my kid's bicycle a "bicycle pickup" because it has two wheels, like a pickup would, and just ignoring the other two wheels, engine, windows, etc.

I'm not an obsessive beer taxonomist, but there's nothing "pale ale" about that beer's aroma, flavor, or appearance. If you drank it, you would not think "pale ale."

This is a new animal, altogether, and it ought to be named that way. Hell, that's a lot more fun, anyhow!

TL

Kind of my thoughts as well, It's dark and it's hoppy, so IPA came to mind because of the hoppiness.

If I was going to classify it as anything at this point, I would classify it as: Beer. Other than that, it defies classification, and there's not a thing in the world wrong with that.

After drinking it, see if you can come up with fun name for it. If it's good, make it again!

TL

Immediately I would think Amber Ale, but 2# of Chocolate is not gonna make it amber, but black. I suppose there is a black lager, so why not a black ale? Black Ale it is. Nicely done creating a new style. Cheers!

Light (rice extract) American Porter?
Not that there's really anything "light" about it, but it will probably be dry for a porter.

Well this batch has been bottle conditioning for 2 weeks now, overall I like it. Just about the right hoppiness, color is about as dark as an oatmeal stout if not darker, lacking body, great head retention. Some excessive bitterness from the extremely high amount of chocolate grains used. I think I'm going to tweak this recipe a bit, cut down on the chocolate grains, add more dried rice extract or try some maltose to add some more body.

Back