Making a bottle drying rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillybilly

Reaction score
I was thinking of making bottle rack I looked around couldn't find plastic dowel rod but I did find some plastic stakes about 48 inches long at Walmart for 1.25 figured cut them to 4 inch links and insert into a hole drilled at an angle in a piece of PVC pipe. Would the stakes work I know the stakes aren't food grade but it is just for bottle drying.

I just use my empty dishrack.:rolleyes: Im shure that would work but i dont know why they would have to be food grade really.

I think I saw where someone used coated decking screws in place of your planks.

Wood can harbor bad thing.

I got a 3-4 ft length of that vinyl coated particle board that is generally used for shelves and cut a bunch of 2in holes in it with a cheap harbor freight hole saw. Put some 6 in pieces of scrap as leg in the corners to raise it off the ground. It cost me about $10 dollars total and can dry about 50-60 bottles even bombers. Now when I sanitize my bottles I just put them upside down through the holes in the rack, they can drain and nothing touches the inside of the bottle so you dont need to worry about sanitizing the rack or any additional contamination. If I get paranoid I put a shallow tray with an inch or two of star-san below the rack for the tips of the bottles to sit in while they drain, but IMO thats over kill. Ill post a picture if you're interested.

SloTimes said:
I got a 3-4 ft length of that vinyl coated particle board that is generally used for shelves and cut a bunch of 2in holes in it with a cheap harbor freight hole saw. Put some 6 in pieces of scrap as leg in the corners to raise it off the ground. It cost me about $10 dollars total and can dry about 50-60 bottles even bombers. Now when I sanitize my bottles I just put them upside down through the holes in the rack, they can drain and nothing touches the inside of the bottle so you dont need to worry about sanitizing the rack or any additional contamination. If I get paranoid I put a shallow tray with an inch or two of star-san below the rack for the tips of the bottles to sit in while they drain, but IMO thats over kill. Ill post a picture if you're interested.

I really like that idea. It reminds me of what they use for making champagne to get the yeast to the neck. Wish I had thought of that myself. I use the dishwasher rack like the other poster said.

Back