Post Secondary Flavor is "Cidery"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolinaMatt

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I'm still pretty new in homebrewing and this was my 5th batch. Was hoping to create a refreshing summer brew and experiment with fruit in half of it. I brewed an American Wheat 5 gallon BIAB batch and split it to have half with nothing added and the other half I added 4 pounds of strawberries and a cup of honey. After taking the strawberries out last night I gave a little taste test to see how it was coming along and it had a "cidery" after taste that seemed off and just not right.

To give a little more background--

-The 2.5 gallons of american wheat tasted fantastic after primary fermentation

-Froze 4 lbs of strawberries for 24 hours before putting them in secondary
-Boiled 1 cup of water with 1 cup of honey and cooled before putting in secondary
-Was in secondary for 8 days at about 66-68 degree F

Do I just need to give it more time to let the yeast clean things up? Or is this my final product and I need to dump?

I don't believe its an infection as it looks pretty clear and I am very thorough with my cleaning/sanitation. My best guess/plan was to let it sit for 2-3 weeks more and check then and bottle if its ok and if not chalk it up to learning.

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Give it more time on the yeast, it could just be acetylaldehyde. Theres not much yeast in the secondary, they could be moving slowly to ferment out the strawberry sugars.

That's what I was thinking. Do you think the flavors will be cleaned up by the yeast over the next 2-3 weeks? If it still tastes bad in 2-3 weeks dump it? Thanks!

Back