How much yeast to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paraordnance

Reaction score
Have a fresh pack of 3787 on the way and trying to figure out how much yeast do I need to bottle condition Belgian dubbel and Triple. I usually keg, but love my belgians bottled. Will probably make a quart starter so I can store some yeast and use in future brews. How many ml of yeast would I need to carbonate 5 gal batch?

Please don't ask why I add yeast at bottling. My beers been in secondary since August, they very clear and tasty. Tripple still a little hot at 10.5 % so yeast probably pooped (3522). I just want cheap insurance

specifically for belgians.

http://***********/stories/techniqu...212-on-the-yeast-guide-to-bottle-conditioning

I am also getting ready for this. I read the BYO artical and it was very helpful. It did not say how much yeast was used. I am pitching the Wyeast 3787 to ferment. I plan to use the same to bottle. Would 20% of the yeast in a 700ml starter be what I need to shoot for?

About 20% of a smack pack or vial would be about right. That will give you a cell density of about 1 billion cells per liter. That's about twice what you would use if it was the same wort with no alcohol. If you don't mind a little extra yeast in the bottles and want it to carb up quickly then you could use more.

Back