Smell your yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
So, back in September, I bought a 'smackpack' of Wyeast Whitbread 1099 for a Nut Brown Ale. I finally got around to brewing it today.

I noticed about a month ago, the pack had started to swell in the fridge. I thought maybe I put something heavy on top of it and ruptured the nutrient pack on the inside. So, I didn't think anything of it. I took it out of the fridge this morning and did my best to feel for the nutrient pack. I couldn't find it. I thought for sure I popped it by accident.

I went about my brewday and when I opened it this afternoon to pour it into my wort, I was hit with the nastiest, putrid, vile smell... ever... I was so close to dumping this in. I am so glad I got a whiff of it before I did.

Anyway, I took it upstairs and dumped it in the sink and found the nutrient pack, still intact.

It's a first for me. I have never had an issue with bad yeast before. Anybody else?

Oh, btw, my lhbs rocks as they are open until 5pm on Sunday! :rockin:

I recently got a bad wyeast pack also but didn't realize it until after i pitched it.

The beer actually ended up being drinkable but smelled like vinegar.

I'm assuming there must have been an infection somehow; it's all sealed, right?

/Saving a pack of Scottish Ale 1728 for a Wee Heavy brew in a month.
//Hope it's OK.

Yea, I'm guessing it got to warm, as this was a yeast pack i bought online
And who knows what temps it got up to during shipping.

Back