Leaking from airlock grommet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeandblue302

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am having a pretty active fermentation and decided to replace the airlock with a blowoff tube but now im getting a decent amount of bubbles coming from the air lock grommet.

Now my question is should i be worried about this? its mostly just air and im still getting some in the blowoff.

Don't worry. If it is off gassing, nothing bad is getting in, to much is getting out. Even when it is done you will be fine putting the airlock back in. Relax. :ban: In my experience you have to try HARD to infect a batch as long as you are sanitary.

What are the odds that this will foam over my buckets edge? Obviously it's not air tight so even if the pressure builds enough it shouldn't blow up correct?

If you have some sort or blowoff tube on there, it is not going to blow the lid off and make a mess unless the tube gets blocked (very little chance), path of least resistance. Get some Fermacap-S and you won't have to worry (about the next batch). It keeps the foam down. I use it in every batch to avoid having to even have blowoff tubes on hand.

Back