Bayou Classic - Very bad experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_MI

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the M2HPH dual regulator about 8 months ago and have used it about 5 times. Always stored and used in the garage. The left control valve is not working right and cuts out unless I press it to the side...the right one works just fine. I sent a note to them asking for help and was told to go pound sand. Well, I was actually told that they will not try to resolve this unless I can produce my receipt.

So I'm out the $30 bucks I spent on this thing which I will get over. I'm really surprised at the complete lack of empathy I got from Bayou Classic.....they clearly could not have cared less about my situation and were quite happy to hide behind their policy.

Oh well...it'll be the last $ they see from me.....

They're busy dealing with upcoming turkey frying day. Brewing? What's that? These are single use man.

I had a good experience the one time I had to contact them. A piece was missing from my SQ14 and they sent me one right away.

Wel looking at this objectively. A dual regulator for $30? That's pretty rock bottom pricing.... It would make sense that they aren't making as much markup off the regulators they sell and therefore aren't as likely to write off more profits with "giveaways" by replacing things with out a receipt to prove it was even purchased by the person trying to get free replacements or parts... I believe most stores require a receipt as proof of purchase... It's a policy that makes perfect sense and you can't blame someone for not following it... I save the emails from purchases that contain the receipts myself. How long ago had this been purchased prior to you contacting them about the problem? Usually cheap discounted stuff only has a 30day warranty. Most dual regulators are $60 or more from what I've seen. I wouldn't expect free rep!acements or parts beyond that 30 days for something sold so cheaply myself. It just doesn't make financial sense.

Just my 2 cents on it though...

In truth it's not a dual regulator...its 1 10psi regulator with 2 lines coming out of it each with its own valve. Very common piece of equipment and probably cost more to ship than build.

My Dad bought a Bradley smoker about the same time. Same situation as far as used it about 5 times and poof it quit heating. He sent them an email..they asked a couple quick questions to understand what was happening and bam...new element coming in the mail.

If you sell a product and it does not perform reasonably you either stand behind it or you don't. The financial sense of your decision will be determined by the free market not some bean count. I would especially think a brand such as Bayou Classic would understand the financial sense of maintaining the integrity of your brand.

I wish I had bought a Bradley regulator.....

In truth it's not a dual regulator...its 1 10psi regulator with 2 lines coming out of it each with its own valve. Very common piece of equipment and probably cost more to ship than build.

My Dad bought a Bradley smoker about the same time. Same situation as far as used it about 5 times and poof it quit heating. He sent them an email..they asked a couple quick questions to understand what was happening and bam...new element coming in the mail.

If you sell a product and it does not perform reasonably you either stand behind it or you don't. The financial sense of your decision will be determined by the free market not some bean count. I would especially think a brand such as Bayou Classic would understand the financial sense of maintaining the integrity of your brand.

I wish I had bought a Bradley regulator.....
Ok you dont see that you are making my point by comparing a product brand that's very expensive and has a much higher markup to an economically lowers price point brand name (bayou classic) Bradley's customers have a different order of priorities than a bayou classic customer.
Since Bradley makes soo much more profit off everything they sell they can afford to be more liberal with their support and policies. Bradley is the "Blichmann" of the smoker world of course they are going to have more "support" and better policies. If you buy a Mercedes or bmw your service and maintenance experience with the dealership is going to be drastically different that a person would get with say a Chevy cruze...

I'll ask again how long ago did you purchase the regulator?

BTW I paid more than $30 for my single harbor freight regulator... Which I don't expect them to warranty beyond 30 days.

I see your point...I just don't share it. :)

If your argument is based on a deep understanding of the P&L of the 2 companies then I yield. If your saying that I can't expect reasonable performance from a regulator because it cost $30 then I respectfully disagree.

If your argument is based on a deep understanding of the P&L of the 2 companies then I yield. If your saying that I can't expect reasonable performance from a regulator because it cost $30 then I respectfully disagree.

Haha....I can just imagine you at Harbor Frieght....But is says Heavy Duty....??

Not what I'm saying at all. Just that.. If you bought a low budget regulator and expect free replacements or even parts after 30 days your going to be disappointed to learn that's more often not the way it works with generic cheaply made products sold at lower than average prices regardless of who sold them.

You haven't answered the question of how long ago you actually purchased this regulator which implys your ignoring the elephant in the room here. Do you really expect a lifetime warranty on this?

Just to share my recent regulator experience. I bought my last regulator new on eBay for $20 shipped and it came damage with a crushed pressure gauge ... The seller didn't want to replace it or send parts if it was functional until I pressed it stating I cannot see what pressure setting I have it set to without it.... They finally gave in and shipped a replacement but now that I left feedback I doubt they will be of much help. I have an issue since I haven't even used it yet. Ultimately it would be my problem since I haven't tested the product I bought 2 months ago

Most stores only have a 30 day return/ replacement policy not sure why this case should be different? Frankly if your going to start a thread to bash a company you should have included all the facts. The fact that avoided disclosing important details has done more to to work against you. And at this point you would be impelled to not not honest with your answer here.

I don't get the assessment that $30 is low budget or cheap for a 10psi propane regulator? It's a bayou classic...commonly regarded as making equipment that is more than suitable for applications such as home brewing, turkey frying, and occasionally burning ones house down. Do a search for 10 psi propane regulator...you have to scroll down to the Beverly Hills section to find them for $60 bucks. I'm boiling water not de-icing the shuttle.

If you can not agree I have a reasonable expectation for this to have worked more than 5 times and that a brand such as Bayou Classic would at least pretend interested in my situation than we should start talking about beer because we clearly are not going to align on this thread. :)

Not what I'm saying at all. Just that.. If you bought a low budget regulator and expect free replacements or even parts after 30 days your going to be disappointed to learn that's more often not the way it works with generic cheaply made products sold at lower than average prices regardless of who sold them.

You haven't answered the question of how long ago you actually purchased this regulator which implys your ignoring the elephant in the room here. Do you really expect a lifetime warranty on this?

Just to share my recent regulator experience. I bought my last regulator new on eBay for $20 shipped and it came damage with a crushed pressure gauge ... The seller didn't want to replace it or send parts if it was functional until I pressed it stating I cannot see what pressure setting I have it set to without it.... They finally gave in and shipped a replacement but now that I left feedback I doubt they will be of much help. I have an issue since I haven't even used it yet. Ultimately it would be my problem since I haven't tested the product I bought 2 months ago

Most stores only have a 30 day return/ replacement policy not sure why this case should be different? Frankly if your going to start a thread to bash a company you should have included all the facts. The fact that avoided disclosing important details has done more to to work against you.

He's had it for 8 months and used it five times.....in the original post my friend.

Everybody knows bayou anything is bottom of the barrel equipment but expectations vary even with that knowledge.

Personally, even with my Blichmann stuff I wouldn't expect anything for free 8 months after a purchase but that's just me.

I don't get the assessment that $30 is low budget or cheap for a 10psi propane regulator? It's a bayou classic...commonly regarded as making equipment that is more than suitable for applications such as home brewing, turkey frying, and occasionally burning ones house down. Do a search for 10 psi propane regulator...you have to scroll down to the Beverly Hills section to find them for $60 bucks. I'm boiling water not de-icing the shuttle.

If you can not agree I have a reasonable expectation for this to have worked more than 5 times and that a brand such as Bayou Classic would at least pretend interested in my situation than we should start talking about beer because we clearly are not going to align on this thread. :)
OK well were are talking about two different types of regulators here but again that doesn't matter if you bought the thing a year ago and are expecting free replacement now... That's the real point. Bayou classic doesn't manufacture this stuff they are a brand company like say camco their products come from different manufacturers that sell the same products to different companies that brand and offer different warranties on it depending. That was my point. You just now are saying you only used it five times but that doesn't matter as much as how long ago you bought it.
This is an old argument because many customers try to lie and say they barely used something before it failed... How does the retailer responsibly handle this without being taken advantage of and losing money by scammers or people with unrealistic expectations?

He's had it for 8 months and used it five times.....in the original post my friend.

Everybody knows bayou anything is bottom of the barrel equipment but expectations vary even with that knowledge.

Personally, even with my Blichmann stuff I wouldn't expect anything for free 8 months after a purchase but that's just me.

OK thanks, I missed that since I'm using a phone to read this from . I asked a few times and it was ignored as far as I saw.

I apologize for that but my opinion on the situation still stands. I think the fact that they were willing to help at all due to all the time that passed, if he had produced a reciept was more than would be expected by most.

Bayou Classic bottom of the barrel? I have no illusion they are Blinchman but you guys talk like I got this from guy in a trench coat on the street corner.

To summarize...I payed market value for a regulator of reasonable if not good quality. It was a brand name readily recognized by anyone that ever tried to deep fry a bird or have a crab boil. The product failed long before one would reasonably expect and I was not offered any consideration because I did not have a receipt. If you don't mind this happening to you then Bayou Classic is the way to go but try not to let wort get on your receipt...you're gonna need it.

Can't say I'm surprised. You're talking about cheap, disposable parts. Walk into any Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a new one. Move on with your life.

A receipt is a reasonable (and nearly universal) request. If you had produced a receipt and they refused to support the product then we could have a conversation about how long they should have supported it. With no receipt, they don't even know whether you HAVE their product, let alone how long you have owned it. If they are offering free regulators for a phone call, let us know. We'll all get one. Well, most of us wouldn't; it would be unethical. Some would, and the vendor would be stupid to permit it.

Move on? Are you kidding? I'm exacting the only means of satisfaction available to me. I'm enlisting the help of social media to spread the word about how I was wronged by the evil corporate entity known as Bayou Classic. With every post and retort I get a little more satisfaction.

God knows I've read enough mindless threads here of a similar theme from other wronged consumers....Damn It!...it's my turn!! And I'll thank you to keep this thread going so that I continue to feel the $30 of tension leave my body....

Brew On....Down with Bayou Classic!

A receipt is a reasonable (and nearly universal) request. If you had produced a receipt and they refused to support the product then we could have a conversation about how long they should have supported it. With no receipt, they don't even know whether you HAVE their product, let alone how long you have owned it. If they are offering free regulators for a phone call, let us know. We'll all get one. Well, most of us wouldn't; it would be unethical. Some would, and the vendor would be stupid to permit it.

Oh, they know all right...I sent them pictures...2 to be exact.
...and for the record I never asked to have it replaced. A couple of email exchanges in some fail attempt to help me repair it or point me to a suggested parts list would have been lovely. Stone walling me with a demand to produce a receipt was not acceptable to this consumer.

Look at the bright side...now you know better and you'll cough up the $150 get a Blich and never worry about burners again.

This isn't about a burner...I got a crappy regulator. I'm sure "blich" are great stuff and I'm really glad you have a bunch of it and like it!

Thanks for keeping this thread alive! I was starting to think my rant was coming to an end.

I bought the M2HPH dual regulator about 8 months ago and have used it about 5 times. Always stored and used in the garage. The left control valve is not working right and cuts out unless I press it to the side...the right one works just fine. I sent a note to them asking for help and was told to go pound sand. Well, I was actually told that they will not try to resolve this unless I can produce my receipt.

So I'm out the $30 bucks I spent on this thing which I will get over. I'm really surprised at the complete lack of empathy I got from Bayou Classic.....they clearly could not have cared less about my situation and were quite happy to hide behind their policy.

Oh well...it'll be the last $ they see from me.....

So you bought a used product and the manufacturer warranty is to the original owner and you're upset? Buy something brand new and produce the proof of purchase like the manufacturer requires. Don't buy something second hand then complain it breaks. You saved a bunch of money buy it. Go spend some of it buying another second hand unit. You'll still come out ahead than if you'd purchased the unit new. I'm really surprised someone would be so hurt over a company enforcing their policy. Not everyone can be Walmart. You clearly wanted the high quality product without paying the high quality price. You should post this on their face page and start a petition as well as a go find me to purchase your new burner so your feelers are filled up with warm fuzzy smoke.

This isn't about a burner...I got a crappy regulator. I'm sure "blich" are great stuff and I'm really glad you have a bunch of it and like it!

Thanks for keeping this thread alive! I was starting to think my rant was coming to an end.

Just so you know blichmann only warranty their stuff a year. Buy a new regulator and replace it with the time you spent posting about a faulty product you bought used.

Do you even realize it's the same identical burner? The regulator could have worked 110 times before you purchased it but you never even mention that as an option. You only think of the 5 times your used equipment worked. Even a snap on wrench breaks sometimes but the guy who buys it and paid 5 times as much as the guy who bought a craftsman doesn't complain.

Where did you buy it? Every manufacturer has policies about who is supposed to support the warranty. I have an ongoing record of every customer purchase. If someone told me they bought something, I don't need them to prove it. I'll look it up and verify it. If it's past the mfg warranty, I typically offer an at-cost replacement. This really is a result bottom dollar price shopping. When the margin on this stuff is dragged down to $4 assuming no shipping mishaps, there is no room left for grand gestures of customer service (which is what I would consider sending replacement parts out post warranty period).

.....and another voice for my choir...this is a blast! Welcome to my rant.....would you mind explaining what the hell your referring to? Where did you get that I bought this used?

Where did you buy it? Every manufacturer has policies about who is supposed to support the warranty. I have an ongoing record of every customer purchase. If someone told me they bought something, I don't need them to prove it. I'll look it up and verify it. If it's past the mfg warranty, I typically offer an at-cost replacement. This really is a result bottom dollar price shopping. When the margin on this stuff is dragged down to $4 assuming no shipping mishaps, there is no room left for grand gestures of customer service (which is what I would consider sending replacement parts out post warranty period).

I bought it new from LHBS....I might see if they have a record of the purchase. Thank you for the first thoughtful response in 4 pages....

Btw..just got my brew hardware plate chiller connection kit...good stuff! Ordered Tue...received Fri..used Sunday...

I bought it new from LHBS....I might see if they have a record of the purchase. Thank you for the first thoughtful response in 4 pages....

Why didn't you do this first instead of bashing a company?

I assumed used because I thought it was a whole burner/stand/regulator/hose combination for $30 which is extremely cheap. You also complained about them asking for a receipt so that also lead me to believe you bought it used.

I assumed used because I thought it was a whole burner/stand/regulator/hose combination for $30 which is extremely cheap. You also complained about them asking for a receipt so that also lead me to believe you bought it used.

.....hu? I couldn't have been more clear in describing what happened...you just rushed to a conclusion and made an irrelevant post...and I love it! The thread lives!

I am not bashing...I simply documented my experience.
I did not buy it used..it was new
I did not have it a year...it was 8 months approximately
I did not require them to replace it....I just didn't appreciate the complete absence of any measure of customer support
I do not hate Blichman...I just needed a regulator...please don't think less of me

Now THAT is the best question asked...... I would never think to call a manufacturer to request help until I had exhausted all possibilities at point of purchase. None of the other thoughts, ideas, issues with time since purchase, cost, etc., are of any merit without first going back to where you bought said item and requesting satisfaction.
There are a few items I've bought recently that explicitly state "do not return to the store, call 1-800-my-****-is-broke for assistance". I mean, even if my LHBS was an hour or so away, it would just make good, logical common sense to return it there for help first before you launch into a social media tirade of a perceived wrong you have been done. However, now that you have ranted, and requested continued activity to elevate your rant, I believe you also have an obligation to those of us caught up in your ill directed tantrum (no offense intended, but honestly that's kind of what it turned out to be) to keep the thread going when you do return to your LHBS and ask for some solution, and let us know what results you obtained.

(and yes by your title "Bayou Classic-very bad experience", that IS bashing the company)

Now THAT is the best question asked...... I would never think to call a manufacturer to request help until I had exhausted all possibilities at point of purchase. None of the other thoughts, ideas, issues with time since purchase, cost, etc., are of any merit without first going back to where you bought said item and requesting satisfaction.
There are a few items I've bought recently that explicitly state "do not return to the store, call 1-800-my-****-is-broke for assistance". I mean, even if my LHBS was an hour or so away, it would just make good, logical common sense to return it there for help first before you launch into a social media tirade of a perceived wrong you have been done. However, now that you have ranted, and requested continued activity to elevate your rant, I believe you also have an obligation to those of us caught up in your ill directed tantrum (no offense intended, but honestly that's kind of what it turned out to be) to keep the thread going when you do return to your LHBS and ask for some solution, and let us know what results you obtained.

(and yes by your title "Bayou Classic-very bad experience", that IS bashing the company)

Nope...not bashing. It isn't bashing to relay an experience and that is all I've done
I acknowledged and was grateful for Bobby's advice to call LHBS where I purchased this. What more do you want? I'm happy to know that you're so knowledgeable of protocol when you have a purchased a piece of crap. Obviously you are a bayou classic customer also (now I'm bashing...get it?). :)

I'm not sure what other stuff you've bought recently but I hope it was Blichman...there stuff is really good ... I mean REALLY good

Yes, I probably do owe this group an update after calling LHBS...sigh. A simple post has turned out to be quite laborious.

..and finally...no offense perceived. If I did not want the attention I should not have posted to start with. :). Brew on kind sir!

Nope...not bashing. It isn't bashing to relay an experience and that is all I've done
I acknowledged and was grateful for Bobby's advice to call LHBS where I purchased this. What more do you want? I'm happy to know that you're so knowledgeable of protocol when you have a purchased a piece of crap. Obviously you are a bayou classic customer also (now I'm bashing...get it?). :)

I'm not sure what other stuff you've bought recently but I hope it was Blichman...there stuff is really good ... I mean REALLY good

Yes, I probably do owe this group an update after calling LHBS...sigh. A simple post has turned out to be quite laborious.

..and finally...no offense perceived. If I did not want the attention I should not have posted to start with. :). Brew on kind sir!

Meh....on the bashing/not bashing, we will simply have to agree to disagree, fair 'nuff? ;)

Well, yeah, I've bought a couple things, but not necessarily loyal to them. My loyalties lie with quality and customer service, not manufacturer. Trust me when I say; if I believe BC to drop quality, or if I get poor customer service, they will no longer receive my hard earned $$
Of course I have to then counter that statement with Blichmann may be high quality, but this boy ain't got the coin for that! I am happy for those that do, and their stuff is mighty purty, but damn...

My knowledge and statements simply come from upbringing and too damn many years on this mortal coil dealing with inferior products, idiot customer service personnel, and general lack of understanding of how the system works. I.E.- give me a good product at what I believe to be a fair price and take care of me when I need assistance, and you will have me for a customer as a very long time, and I will continue to spend my money with you. Seems pretty simple to me, but I guess I am a rather simple man in that regard.
I applaud your self awareness with regard to wanting attention....lol.... well said. Not sure how you ever thought posting here would be easy. We can degrade any topic into a massive debate for no other reason than we can. :D
Good luck with the LHBS, I'm sure they will take good care of you. (at least my naive faith in customer service says so!)

I'm with the OP on this one. Maybe some of you are old enough to have lived before the age of online shopping and advertising when customer service wasn't an issue. As a millennial, I feel rather entitled. I know it can be a character flaw, but it's what drives markets to perform better. I listen to all rants in this site and will certainly think back on this thread next time I buy a gas regulator. For this reason, I feel that they should have replaced it with no questions asked. You all need to look to the future.

Meh....on the bashing/not bashing, we will simply have to agree to disagree, fair 'nuff? ;)

Well, yeah, I've bought a couple things, but not necessarily loyal to them. My loyalties lie with quality and customer service, not manufacturer. Trust me when I say; if I believe BC to drop quality, or if I get poor customer service, they will no longer receive my hard earned $$
Of course I have to then counter that statement with Blichmann may be high quality, but this boy ain't got the coin for that! I am happy for those that do, and their stuff is mighty purty, but damn...

My knowledge and statements simply come from upbringing and too damn many years on this mortal coil dealing with inferior products, idiot customer service personnel, and general lack of understanding of how the system works. I.E.- give me a good product at what I believe to be a fair price and take care of me when I need assistance, and you will have me for a customer as a very long time, and I will continue to spend my money with you. Seems pretty simple to me, but I guess I am a rather simple man in that regard.
I applaud your self awareness with regard to wanting attention....lol.... well said. Not sure how you ever thought posting here would be easy. We can degrade any topic into a massive debate for no other reason than we can. :D
Good luck with the LHBS, I'm sure they will take good care of you. (at least my naive faith in customer service says so!)

.....and welcome everyone to page 4! And my compliments to beernbourbon for getting us here in style! Very well said, sir. Who would have thought I would genuinely appreciate anything from a Buckeye this week? Go Blue! :off:

I poke fun at the Blichman crusaders...every time someone shares a story about not being happy about something they bought .... Here come the "ya shoulda bought a Blichman...I have one and I love it" guys. Enough already..you spent a lot of money on something really nice for yourself and your proud..we get it...congrats....can we get back to my $30 regulator complaint? :) I make fun of them only because one day I hope to be one, but I also do not have the coin. But when I do you can be sure I'll rub everyone's nose in it. :ban:

...and yes..I'm taking some time off work and really don't have much to do this week. So here I am begging for some entertainment....this is fun!

I'm with the OP on this one. Maybe some of you are old enough to have lived before the age of online shopping and advertising when customer service wasn't an issue. As a millennial, I feel rather entitled. I know it can be a character flaw, but it's what drives markets to perform better. I listen to all rants in this site and will certainly think back on this thread next time I buy a gas regulator. For this reason, I feel that they should have replaced it with no questions asked. You all need to look to the future.

HA HA...You see that?!? He said he's with the "OP"! That's me! :ban:

Take that you Blichman fanatics....down with Bayou Classic!

....down with Bayou Classic!

Nope, definitely no bashing here...

FWIW, I use several Bayou Classic products. I used to have some Blichmann stuff, but sold it all, because I decided I liked the money more than I liked the bling.

I had a BC regulator crap out on me once. I went to the nearest Lowes, bought a new one, and got on with my brew day.

I hope you are able to get this taken care of. and I agree they should have at least tried to help out with some info whether they replace the part for free or not.

.....and welcome everyone to page 4! And my compliments to beernbourbon for getting us here in style! Very well said, sir. Who would have thought I would genuinely appreciate anything from a Buckeye this week? Go Blue! :off:

..and to remain :off: .....oh, oh, now ya done it! :D Just cuz I live in Ohio, do not DARE to lump me with those maniacs up in the center..... few years back, they did a poll (happened to be one of the years that the Chokeyes lost in a bowl game) about the most annoying fans in college football.... Buckeyes came in second....don't even remember who took first, but my comment then and now was 'see, can't even come in #1 at that'. I prefer my Cincy Bearcats, but for the record, if i have to make a choice, it's to be a Michigan fan, for no other reason than they are the the arch enemy of OSU.... "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" :ban: I LOVE Pop Evil's song "In the Big House"....play it every time I go to the Columbus office. :D

(I like pokin' the bear as well.....let the Michigan/OSU hatin' begin)

Gotta admit, you have entertained me on this boring day before my much needed 4 day weekend....

The Blichman owners are hate'n on us cheap skates....

Us cheap skates are looking for a hero....a knight to rise up against the evil man...

The evil man is ....well...how the heck would I know what the evil man is doing....<insert sinister laugh or something> ....

But I NEED me some Page 5...I just got to have it....

...I am about to report on my call to the LHBS...did they mock me? Did they rebuke me for even thinking they cared? Did they offer me free Blichman swag?

Back