Keg to bottle temp effect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wgbanks

Brew Junkie
Reaction score
It has been a while since my last brew but I currently have a Dortmunder in the conical and want to give a couple bottle away during the holidays. I was planning on kegging as I have always done and then using my beeer gun to bottle for presents to some friends. I am affraid of the effect that waming and rechilling my gift beer will have on it's taste. If I bottle from my chilled keg and the beer warms up to room temp will it blow its top, taste bad and or something worse? I have reviewed the carbonation charts for carbonation at 70 degress, room temp, and that raises the psig to 30 or so. If I room temp cabonate then chill what effect will that have on my beer? I did a search but was unable to find an answer to my specific problem. Any info lended will be greatly appreciated.

If you carb at room temp, you absolutely won't be able to fill the bottles and retain carbonation. In fact, you'll the beer will foam so bad that by the time you get the cap on, the bottle will be half empty. If you don't want to chill and carb, just fill the bottles and dose them with sugar.

You can carb at any temp you want, but it has to be chilled down for a couple days before you can serve it.

I turn my kegger controller down to 34F the night before I plan on doing any bottling. I also put my starsan in the freezer before dunking the bottles. Warm bottles also knock a bit of co2 out.

Thanks for the info. If I bottle chilled, which is the correct way, what is the effect of returning the beer to room temp, to hand out as presents, then re-chilling before drinking? I don't want me beer to become skunked-up when I'm trying to bolster the virtues of home brewing to some friends of mine, and bottle carbing with sugar just seems wrong now that I have kegs. I suppose I could just drink it all myself...

There should be no problem letting the beer warm up again in the bottle. It happens constantly when beers are shipped to competitions and no beer would ever score well if it were a problem. Skunking happens when beer gets light struck, not warm.

Back