Quick Banjo Burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyles609

Reaction score
I just got a regulator for my Banjo Burner (BG-14). The only one I could find was rated 10psi max (King Kooker 04502). While I'm going to buy a 0-20 PSI regulator I'm hoping to get by with this for a weekend brew. My problem is I light the burner and wait for all the holes to throw a blue flame, and slowly turn it up. Then it seems to blow itself out. I tried searching all over but most threads deal with pressure, not flame out. At the low setting I will never get a boil.

Any help would be great. Thanks

It sounds like you're not burning all the gas and it's extinguishing the flame.
Make sure you've got the air vents set right. Start with them almost closed, then adjust for proper burn.

Thanks, That worked. The only way it seems to burn correctly is full closed. That allows me to really crank it up, but if I open the air intake much at all the flame starts to turn yellow. Is that normal, and should I drill out the orifice to get any better efficiency?

Thanks for the help

I may have had the same problem when I first got my Banjos. I'd be willing to bet you tried them without a kettle on top??? Put your pot on top of it and try again, it should work.

I'll give that a try. I was trying it on a level surface for now. I sent my brew stand to a friend to get a custom mount welded for the new banjo burner. Hope to have it back by saturday. Still curious if the orifice that came with the burner should be modified or not. I ordered it from agrisupply and got everything but the regulator.

Thanks

If it is a new burner then the paint will be burning off the oils for about the first half hour and the flames will have a slight color addition between orange and yellow while this happens. Adjust the air shutter closed until flame is quiet and tips of the flame turn bright yellow, then open the air shutter until the yellow tips fade out, more air and you are wasting fuel and making noise.
Folks do not realize that half the air for the flame runs inside with the fuel, the rest needs to meet the outside of the flame to complete combustion. Over doing the burner shroud and trapping the combustion products under the pot is not a good thing, the spent gasses need to escape to let fresh air flow up and around the flame to finish the burn.

Back