Starter yeast container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chap

Reaction score
Want to get my first starter yeast going for Monday's brew day but I can't find 2L vials in San Diego or growlers (or maybe I just don't know where to look). What are other suitable containers to use for a starter. It will be hand stirred (shaken) no stir plate.

Thanks

Graham Sanders recommends PET soda bottles because you can squeeze CO2 out and let air in. I have a nice 3L bottle with a wide mouth I got at a dollar store, filled with fizzy sugar water....

EDIT: Just don't screw the cap down all the way when fermenting. There are YouTube videos....

Go to the liquor store and buy a glass gallon jug of cheap wine. You'll have a container for big starters with a screw top that you can shake the ..it out of it if you don't have a stir plate.

DO NOT screw the lid on even loosely when using a glass jug.

If the Krausen reaches the lid and dries it may seal. I had a wine bottle explode and stick glass shards in the wall 20 feet away. Lesson learned, I use a baggy or foil over them now.

Thanks folks, Vons had Carlos Rossi gallon jugs on sale for $7! Now I get to drink a gallon of cheap Chablis and make beer :ban:

Any container, plastic or glass will work for a starter vessel. People have used everything imaginable. As long as it is big enough to suit your needs you will be fine. And you can easily cover whatever with tinfoil.

Save yourself the hangover, go to your local HBS and get a gallon jug for about $5 and a stopper and airlock.

Stopper and airlock for a starter is a bad idea. When you're trying to grow yeast, oxygen is a good thing. Tinfoil or foam stoppers are the way to go.

Back