Dry hopping ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebaynote

Reaction score
So I've dry hopped a brown ipa with 2 oz centennial hop pellet for the last 7 days. I just threw them in. My question is. Would it make sense, when I rack to the bottling bucket, to put some cheese cloth or a couple of those steeping bags over the tube to filter out some of the hop matter? Thanks for any insight.

Definitely. That way you'll avoid walking around with green stuff in your teeth all night. I use paint strainers from HD, which look remarkably similar to the "grain bags" my LHBS sells. Hmmmm.

I thought straining that way would cause too much aeration and mess up the batch? I've always been told to not disturb the wort.

Yes, use a strainer bag on the end of your wand to filter out the hops. Or, if so equipped, use the little black end cap that goes over the tip, I had no problems after dryhopping without the strainer bag. I just used the racking wand.

Back