AutoSiphon woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireBrewer

Assistant Brewer
Reaction score
I love the AutoSiphon but the one thing that really sucks about it is the gasket on the end of the racking cane that goes in the barrel. If it leaks, it lets air in to the line and there's nothing like a ton of bubbled air going into fermented beer, eh? :mad:

This is the second time this has happened to me, only this time it happened right away with a brand-new one. The last time I figured it was because I inserted it dry (obligatory sexual innuendo :D ), thought maybe the friction between the barrel and the dry gasket damaged it. So ever since I've been very careful to make sure it was wet first. Opened the package, got it wet, put it in the barrel, started the siphon and tons of bubbles. :mad:

Anyone have any similar experiences? Ideas? Does this thread need a PG-13 rating? :D

I've never had the bubbles problem - but I can see where that'd be a big concern. Now that I think about it, though I haven't tried it myself yet - it might be a good idea to use some lube (like keg lube, stop having dirty thoughts) on the gasket on a very regular basis.

dale

homebrewer_99 said:
G
Also store each part seperately. If you do the seal will be compressed all the time it is stored.

well that is definately one thing I do .. I take the siphon apart clean it and let it air dry until I need it again. I've never really had a problem with it, but again I've only used it less than 30 times. It'll probably wear out at the worst possible moment.

dale

Are you sure it's not just CO2 in suspension that's coming out of suspension as you siphon? I've had that happen before...

You could always keep some distilled water on hand and pour it on the dry side of the siphon. I doubt you'd soak up more than a couple of drops in the time it would take to siphon a batch...

Damn Squirrels said:
You could always keep some distilled water on hand and pour it on the dry side of the siphon. I doubt you'd soak up more than a couple of drops in the time it would take to siphon a batch...
I just put the outer tube in the bucket of sanitizer upside down for a minute then turn it rightside up for another minute. Then I put it together and push the center tube down to pump sanitizer in the hose. Then I disassemble them and drain the sanitizer before using them in the fermenters. :D

Damn Squirrels said:
Are you sure it's not just CO2 in suspension that's coming out of suspension as you siphon? I've had that happen before...

Definitely not CO2, this was a HUGE stream of air and you could hear it being entrained through the barrel from the top. Tried covering it with my hand but I couldn't get a good seal. Ah well, guess I just gotta drink the beer quickly. :drunk:

Thanks for the input!

Let that inner cane seal sit in some hot water for a bit to soften it up and then let it cool outside of the larger tube. If it's relatively new, I'd ask for a replacement. I've used mine for about 50 racking sessions and it's good as new.

FireBrewer said:
I love the AutoSiphon but the one thing that really sucks about it is the gasket on the end of the racking cane that goes in the barrel. If it leaks, it lets air in to the line and there's nothing like a ton of bubbled air going into fermented beer, eh? :mad:

This is the second time this has happened to me, only this time it happened right away with a brand-new one. The last time I figured it was because I inserted it dry (obligatory sexual innuendo :D ), thought maybe the friction between the barrel and the dry gasket damaged it. So ever since I've been very careful to make sure it was wet first. Opened the package, got it wet, put it in the barrel, started the siphon and tons of bubbles. :mad:

Anyone have any similar experiences? Ideas? Does this thread need a PG-13 rating? :D
I have had the same problem with mine .All the damn bubbles had me pretty mad!Havn't figured out how to solve this P.I.T.A.

on the topic of auto-siphon issues:
sometimes I get air trapped as the auto-siphon starts, right at the hose/cane connection.
pinch the hose right at that air pocket to burp it from the system.
1 big bubble is far less surface area than the thousands of tiny bubbles formed as it slowly removes that air bubble.

But CIP film dissolves at 120f. It might be a good lubricant to try. It's what I use on my kegs.

Gedvondur

Back