Blowoff water sucked into beer! All of it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierStreet

Reaction score
After my vienna lager was done fermenting in the primary, I put it in the fridge to cool it down a bit before lagering. Today I noticed there was no water in the blow off container, I knew right away that the temp difference must have caused a suction. It was sanitized water with Iosan, but it had a good 8 oz of water in it and all of it ended up in the beer.

I tasted it and it tasted fine, but I'm curious if there is any cause for concern? I really hope it doesn't hurt the batch because after just two weeks this beer already tastes great

I had pretty much the same thing happen when racking a batch of oatmeal stout to kegs with the blowoff still in a old jug of sanitizer. Probably a cup or two went in before I figured it out, and pulled the tube off. The beer was still one of my best.

I gashed my teeth as I'm sure you have. I bet it will still be fine.

Prost!

Thats good to hear, i've seen a few posts about this but most of those only had a little bit drip in the beer not a whole cup

Did you deliberately rig up a blowoff vs. just a plain airlock? I've never lagered, so don't know if it's a consideration with that. I've only used a blowoff when I've had fermentation through the airlock as a mitigation strategy.

I usually use the blow off tube for ales, and airlocks for lagers since ales seem to have more intense ferments, But I was out of airlocks this time so i used the blow off tube. I should have switched to an airlock when i put it in the fridge, oh well lesson learned.

in contrast, the stout that is fermenting now keeps blowing the lid off the airlock, should have rigged up the blowoff tube haha

I see. Thanks for explaining. Your rationale helped me understand. I've heard of some folks who automatically use a blowoff and I can't figure out why.

BTW, what in the world are you doing to your yeast to have all these violent fermentations!? :mug:

I see. Thanks for explaining. Your rationale helped me understand. I've heard of some folks who automatically use a blowoff and I can't figure out why.

BTW, what in the world are you doing to your yeast to have all these violent fermentations!? :mug:

haha, used yeast from a previous batch, made a starter, and have it at a consistant 70 F The plan was originally to condense the batch to 4.5 gal, but I guess we had a little more and ended up with less head space.

Back